Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1980s boats...

Petty Officer 1st Class

Default 1980s boats...

What's the deal with people still looking to buy boats from the 80s??? Isn't there anything from the 90s selling for a few bucks more or is the price difference that drastic???
    Last edited by HollaGeo; January 30th, 2011 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Grammar

Default Re: 1980s boats...

It is probably because there are still good boats around from the 80s at a good price.

I have an 80s aluminum boat and really enjoy it, it does everything a new boat would do at a fraction of the cost.

I think too with the country just coming out of what we did people might be a little gun shy about popping alot on a boat right now so they get an older one to hold them over for a couple years till they can move up.
    GO IRISH!!!!

I think you buy a boat that fits your needs best.
    The Aluminum Boats I see built today are all open bow boats that I would not take into the Pacific Ocean.
    Average Seas are over 6 feet all summer long. If I did take an open bow boat out into the pacific I would want it to be self Bailing.
    I will not launch my 21 foot Aluminum boat in the Pacific if Seas are over 8 and 8 seconds or less. This means the Swells are steep or Very Steep and with the normal after noon winds around 25 knots you will have white caps every other swell is less than 10 minutes and building seas.

In winter with storms way out to Sea I have been out in Seas 12 but 15 or 20 seconds apart and that is fun and safe.
    Have some fun and enjoy the Great Outdoors.
    Love to fish out of Bodega Bay, California.

I can't speak about other brands, but I personally prefer most of the '80s Boston Whaler models over the revised designs offered in the '90s. I believe they are better boats.

Supreme Mariner

Perhaps there was a production boom in the 80s placing more of them in todays used market.

Chief Petty Officer

Mines a '72 ! Maybe some day I'll move up to an '80s !!!

Lieutenant Commander proshadetree's Avatar

I just like the looks of 80 boats better. Yes they have rot but so do a lot of 90s models. Why pay an extra couple grand to have a newer boat you still have to cut apart?

i have a 1988 aluminum lund boat and love the layout of it. wouldnt want to trade up

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i'm a school teacher netting about 28 a year, last year we bought an 86 2150 bayliner sunbridge that came with a good trailer, clean hull, good transom, brand new volvo outdrive and a newish 350. the inside upholstery was new. the only thing it needed was a windshield which i got off of a similar bayliner for 250 shipped.

we payed 2600 for our boat. i couldn't have done that with a 96.

I started with a 60's boat, then a couple of 70's boats, tried to make the leap into the 90's, but fell short and got an '89 lol
    Actually, I didn't really like the 90's cruisers as much because the style seemed to be minimal cabin windows. Some are like going into a cave. When I'm at the lake, it's good to be able to enjoy the scenery, even when down below, so the 80's Doral fit the bill, even the aft cabin has 3 windows.(2 opening ports and a hatch)
    1985 Thundercraft Magnum Express
    260 hp MerCruiser

Master Chief Petty Officer jtmarten's Avatar

Because 80s boats are far more appealing than the visually boring boats of the 90s and beyond. There's no way I could stand having boring white exterior/interior gelcoat, white vinyl cockpit, and white vinyl cabin interior. Couldn't stand a vinyl cabin interior period. Yes, its cheaper to produce - and looks it. I love the look of colors and teak in the cockpit area.
    IF I ever decide to upgrade from the Nova II, I'd be looking for either a Scarab II or Scarab Type S, both a few years older than the Nova II.
    1978 Glastron/Carlson CV23
    429/Berkeley JE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm talking about cruisers.

Quote Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
    All the points made already can be said for cruisers too. If someone likes the boat, can afford it, and is comfortable with any repairs needed, whats the big deal if it's an 80s hull? I just bought a 1990 Donzi at a great price, if she was an 1985 I still would have bought her without hesitation. A well taken care of 1985 boat can be a much better deal than a 1995 that has been beat to crap. It all really depends on the boat and the PO in my opinion. I have seem some 90s boats listed thousands more than 80s boat that look to be in better overall shape.

What's the deal with people still looking to buy boats from the 80s??? Isn't there anything from the 90s selling for a few bucks more or is the price difference that drastic???
    Snob!
    1995 SeaRay BR200 5.0 Alpha I "Texas Belle"
    1999 Starcraft Aurora 2415 5.7 Alpha I "MO Belle"

What's wrong with a boat from the 80's? Anyone want to buy mine?

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm not willing to pay more just because the previous owner still remembers buying his boat new. People selling the 80's boats know they need new floors, transoms, paint etc. and they adjust the price accordingly. From what I've seen the boats from the 90's aren't in much better shape, but the owners still think they are shiny and new because although the wood is rotted...it hasn't fallen off yet. Since Aluminum doesn't tend to rot I'll save the extra couple grand.

Lieutenant Commander proshadetree's Avatar

Cost,cost cost Like stated before 90s boats will break your budget in half. The difference between a 86 Century and a 95 Baylinner was just unreal. I can make the Century my own with the leftover cash and the Baylinner I would have to take out a loan to get a dock for the summer. Both boats 25 foot and in about the same condition and options. I really love Baylinners just not that much.

You would think a boat made in the 90's would be reasonable.. They are old now... Nope.. People think they are worth something and about 2 to 3K more than they are... I love my 87... She still looks good and only cost a grand... She also has teak trim( None of the new stuff does).. We ran the hell out of it last year.. Almost every weekend... What more could you want out of a $1000?

Would love to have a mid 90s rig, but I can't justify the 7 to 8k to get one...

87 Four Winns 170 Horizon 4.3 OMC COBRA"Only Child"
    only thing GM I own.. Of course it's the only one that gives trouble..
    2004 Ford STX 4x4.
    2011 Candy Apple Ford Mustang GT
    Hope all you want.. It won't get it fixed..

Well then. Let me fix it for you.

What's the deal with people still looking to buy cruisers from the 80s??? Isn't there anything from the 90s selling for a few bucks more or is the price difference that drastic???
    Your welcome.
    1993 Reinell 2000brxl 20' OMC Cobra 5.0 EFI
    Gone but still remembered:
    1973 Gulfstream 18' 165hp Mercruiser
    1965 Silverline 16' 100hp Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat coming out of the 80's were the result of both new and redesigns for more fuel economy, due to the oil embargo. Also, the 80's brought forth an increase on disposible income for leasure. Second homes and boating were the result. Therefore, plenty of quality boat still remain available in good used condition. With the ever increasing prices of the same class of boat today, smart shoppers are weighing the investment towards a higher quality older boat, versus a lower quality newer boat, and the additional advantage of their comparative depreciation schedules. 80's boats win!

I think fiberglass boats have been on an approximately 10 year cycle for the last 50 years.

Boats of the 60s were cutting edge and really pushed the envelope for design...
    Boats of the 70s were evolutionary, not revolutionary...they tried a lot of things and made the boats cheaper...
    Boats of the 80s were in general better built designs that came from the 70s...people wanted quality and paid for it....and kept the boats well maintained...
    Boats of the 90s were all about instant gratification...cheaply built boats for cheap people that wanted to look like they had a lot more than they did...and then let it rot away...
    Boats of the 00s got back to quality and durability. New manufacturing techniques and materials allowed for good value and good build quality...with less maintenance required.

It will be interesting to see what the 10s bring.
    RJP
    2004 Four Winns 180 Freedom, 150 HP Evinrude Direct Injection
    1974 Winner 280 Cruiser, t-302 225HP V-drives
    2002 Gheenoe 13', 5HP Nissan 2 stroke
    1981 Four Winns Marquise 180 Cuddy, Mercruiser 165HP I6 -- PROJECT

I knew exactly what i wanted. A smaller boat with a larger feel. I had to go back to the 80's to find a 26' cruiser with a flybridge. nowadays noone makes boats like these because some morons will put too many people on the flybridge and then sue the manufacturer into bankruptcy.

Lieutenant Commander 26aftcab454's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wbc1957 View Post
    The boat coming out of the 80's were the result of both new and redesigns for more fuel economy, due to the oil embargo. Also, the 80's brought forth an increase on disposible income for leasure. Second homes and boating were the result. Therefore, plenty of quality boat still remain available in good used condition. With the ever increasing prices of the same class of boat today, smart shoppers are weighing the investment towards a higher quality older boat, versus a lower quality newer boat, and the additional advantage of their comparative depreciation schedules. 80's boats win!
    I have people all the time stop & tell me how much they like my 1984 Wellcraft. it was well taken care of & repowerd in 1996. there are a few dings in the gelcoat, rips in the seats & the canvas is alttle worn but everything is useable & works.With a coat of wax and a good cleaning she still shines. A new boat like this would be alot more that I can afford. I was able to buy this one cash.
    1981 Glastron SX-190 300hp 350 SBC
    Living the Dream

Chief Petty Officer

For me it's more about price vs condition. There are a lot of junk 90's boats and a lot of junk 80's boats out there. I sooner look for overall condition for the price and whether or not the boat is the kind of boat I want. Last summer when I went looking for a boat, I knew I wanted something smaller but didn't want the generic looking open bow runabout/ski boat that everyone else at the lake has. I ended up with a late 70's Glastron GT-150 with a mid 80's outboard, good hull, paint, floor, transom. Obviously a well cared for boat. I would rather have a clean, well cared for older boat than a slightly newer one that's been neglected. Just this fall I bought a project boat that will replace my GT-150 when it's done. It's an early 80's outboard Glastron CVX-20. It's going to need some work, but for price vs condition, it fit the bill and I could not care less about what year it is.

Petty Officer 1st Class kilowatts's Avatar

Hi Guys:

I have a 1976 21.5ft cuddy. While I agree with most of the previous posts I'd like to add an opinion of my own:

Apart from today's much lower cost for older boats, I'm sure the fiberglass technology was so young that the manufacturers didn't know how little material they could get away with, so they tended to overbuild. Broadly speaking, the only way to get a boat built "like they used to" is to have it custom made and the price would be prohibitive. Further, the classic '60's and '70's styles are much more aesthetically pleasing than a production bubble boat, in my opinion.

kilowatts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast