Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Default 1971 Tahiti ski boat

I just traded some labor for this schuster Tahiti ski boat. Its a 4 cylinder and runs good. Its an I/O 140. I launched it this week and noticed it won't steer. What can I do to fix this problem. Everything else is fine on the boat.

Lieutenant Junior Grade spdracr39's Avatar

Default Re: 1971 Tahiti ski boat

Well sounds like a steering cable issue. Or it could be in the steering box. Does the wheel turn free or is it locked up? Will the outdrive move left and right or is it locked in place?
    2008 Tahoe Q7i 5.0L MPI Mercruiser/Alpha One Gen II Drive
    14.25 x 17 Michigan "Apollo" 3 blade Stainless (From iboats store)

Cadet

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
    Well sounds like a steering cable issue. Or it could be in the steering box. Does the wheel turn free or is it locked up? Will the outdrive move left and right or is it locked in place?
    The wheel is locked and so is the outdrive. I tried moving it back and forth. It moved maybe 1/2".

Master Chief Petty Officer Alwhite00's Avatar

Rusted cable? Unhook the cable from the outdrive and see if one of them moves by itself.

LK

1997 Sea Ray Sundancer 250 5.7EFI / BIII

Cadet

Quote Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
    Rusted cable? Unhook the cable from the outdrive and see if one of them moves by itself.

LK
    I did that. it was totally rusted i tried loosing it with some wd40. no luck. i have been looking on line for a replacement. i just dont know which one to choose. Its the original ride glide 11. any ideas on what i can replace with??

Joey

Quote Originally Posted by Joey71 View Post
    I did that. it was totally rusted i tried loosing it with some wd40. no luck. i have been looking on line for a replacement. i just dont know which one to choose. Its the original ride glide 11. any ideas on what i can replace with??

Joey
    Should be able to find something at Teleflex Marine that will work with that boat.

There's a great post in the engine FAQ forum on replacing a marine steering system.
    Zak

Boat
    Manatee Mystery boat Paint job soon to be in progress
    Engine
    '71 Chrysler 70 HP Repower coming soon
    Tow Truck
    '03 4Runner limited V8

Quote Originally Posted by JimS123 View Post

Over-engineering only means that there may be a simplier way to do it. Not that the outome has fallen short of the objective!

Cadet

Quote Originally Posted by MTboatguy View Post
    Should be able to find something at Teleflex Marine that will work with that boat.
    Thanks, I was able to take the cable off and it was rusted. I was able to free it up with some break free. I was also able to clean it very well and spin it with a drill. I lubed it all up and it works fine. Now the engine wont stay running....... ARGGGGG. It seems like as soon as I think i might be able to take it out something else happens. Does the boat need to be level to keep the gas flowing into the fuel pump. Pump is new and so filter...Any ideas???????????

no it doesnt.......does fuel get to the pump?......if its intermettent.......pull the feed tube in the gas tank.....it may have a hole in it.....causing it to suck air whenthe tank is low.
    The Hull Extension Thread
    great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/hull-extension-progress-pics-234392.html

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
    November 29 2010 RIP

Cadet

Quote Originally Posted by oops! View Post
    no it doesnt.......does fuel get to the pump?......if its intermettent.......pull the feed tube in the gas tank.....it may have a hole in it.....causing it to suck air whenthe tank is low.
    I replaced all the hose from the tank to fuel pump. Replaced fuel filter too. Got it running. It idles fine but when I put a load on it, it stalls out. Don't quite know how the throttle works. It's seems simple but it has a black lever next to the forward and reverse handle. It seems like the black lever is actually the throttle? Let me know what you think. If not I'll go somewhere local to have it looked at?