Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default 1957 Cadillac Aluminum Boat

Thought maybe there were some other old aluminum boat nuts out there, I can't be the only one!
    I bought this two years ago, and have been restoring it (during the winter) since.
    It came with the original 1957 Johnson 35hp motor, and it runs great. I replaced it with a newer motor, since I plan to use the boat, and I don't want to put the hours on the old motor.

Check it out, tell me what you think!

Thanks

Dave B
    Waterbury, VTbefore and after.jpg27b.jpg1.jpg29.jpg

Default Re: 1957 Cadillac Aluminum Boat

Hi dbinvermont. Welcome to iboats. Great tinny you got there!!! I'm jealous. Lots of other tin boat lovers here too. I think you might have a '58 35 hp based on the reverse two tone paint job, but I could be wrong. Don't be afraid to use that gem. They're as reliable as they are good lookin'. Great job on the resto. Gotta be the coolest boat at the doc for sure. Cheers!

btw....how did you get her so nice and shinny?

Lieutenant Commander 26aftcab454's Avatar

nice!
    1981 Glastron SX-190 300hp 350 SBC
    Living the Dream

Nice ride!

Very pretty boat. Welcome.
    ---------

- 1972 Silverline Comoro 17T OMC 165 Stringer I/O ... yeah, I know.

Lieutenant Junior Grade 1973Chieftain's Avatar

Wow, that sure is pretty! Welcome! There are quite a few of us old tin boat guys, I have a '55 and a '65, and many of the guys over in the starcraft area have old funnies. Again, welcome aboard!
    1974 Starcraft 24' Chieftan IV Express Hard top
    1972 Starcraft 18' Mariner, 1985 Evinrude 140HP
    >>>
    1969 MirroCraft 18.5' Center Console<<< AVOID http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...to-591439.html
    1965 Starcraft Jet, 1996 40 HP Force by Mercury- SOLD
    1955 Aerocraft CC-16 barrel back runabout, '67 Mercury 500
    SOLD

Very nice, few things nicer than polished aluminum.

Look into getting some Shark Hyde on the aluminuim bits it will keep them looking that nice for years without any polishing.
    GO IRISH!!!!

VERY nice.

Welcome to iboats!! WooooHooooo another Vermonter!!!!
    This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
    Please, shop iboats first!!

Petty Officer 1st Class lprizman's Avatar

Sweet!!!!
    welcome aboard!!
    Dusky 19 - CC - 150 Mariner - Rolls axle trailer
    up right and breathin,,,woohooooo

Commander

Remeber to ware your RayBans while on the water! Sharp boat. Enjoy the forums.
    1984 Lund S14 DLX, 35hp Evinrude on a Spartan Roller Tilt trailer.
    1988 Alumacraft Classic 16 under reconstruction.

Master Chief Petty Officer r.j.dawg's Avatar

Beauty looking ride. Great job on the resto.
    Crews Inn II
    1997 Carver 325 Aft Cabin
    Twin Crusader 350XL

I would like to pass away like my Grandfather, quietly in his sleep. Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Thanks, everyone, for the positive feedback!
    I will look into the Sharkhide. The possibility that the oxidation will return is a real concern, especially after a full winter of buffing!
    Which reminds me, it was asked how I shined it up. I found a video on Youtube showing how aluminum fuel tanks on tractor trailers are brought from oxidized to a mirror finish using rigid buffing wheels and blocks of compound. So I bought the materials, and had at it. What a mess. It is done in stages, going to lighter and lighter wheels and compound, until eventually you are using automotive compound and a sheeps wool type pad. I still have a bit more of that to do.

Again, thanks for the feedback (and info). I hope to have "Silver Bullet" in the Lake Sunapee Antique Boat Parade in NH this summer.

-Dave B

It certainly is a sharp boat. From the polishing threads here, it ain't easy but the results are great. A great intro boat, bd.

Quote Originally Posted by bonz_d View Post
    Sharp boat. Enjoy the forums.
    bonz - Don't say that too loud. oops will chime in and agree.
    Sent using a tin can and a piece of string. A technological breakthrough. The tin can is a 1966 Starcraft Nassau powered by a 1966 Merc 500.

Hey db, welcome to iboats!

Yah, there are a few alum boat weirdos around here...

Once you finish the polish job you'll surely want to protect it as it will oxidize pretty quick. I'd hate to see all that work for not!

Cheers and welcome!

Cool Re: 1957 Cadillac Aluminum Boat

Hi! This is my first post here. (new member) I'm looking for one of those! ('56 or '57) EDIT I really would like to find one, though. I haven't seen any for sale down here in my neck of the woods in NC, but I'm still looking! Any year Cadillac runabout would be cool, but I really want a '56 or '57 Aluminum or Aluminum/fiberglass boat, as opposed to wood. (I'm not much of a woodworker!) Yours is really sharp! Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me find one! EDIT Thanks again!

EDIT: Please read and respect our rules cowboy.
    Last edited by JB; April 1st, 2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: deleted solicitations

Hi Space Cowboy. Welcome to iboats. In addition to checking c-list and ebay, check out a site called tinboats.net. It's an entire site just like iboats specifically for aluminum boats with forums and everything, I believe they have classifieds as well. Happy hunting.

Btw, where do you line in NC? I lived up in Boone for a few years in college. Haven't been back in ages, but it was good fun. I don't miss the snow though Cheers!

I know this thread was brought back to life, but I just wanted to say that the original Johnny looks so cool on that boat with the matching paint/design.

And for the new guy, if you really want one, search the Florida craigslist ads. I saw one for sale here in Tampa Bay a few months ago. I'm sure there are more here.
    1994 Bayliner Capri 1604 w/94 70 Force (sold)
    1984 SportCraft 222 OFF w/84 Mercruiser 488 & Alpha 1
    1979 Sears Gamefisher 13'6" Aluminum w/1959 Johnson 10HP
    1969 Smokin' Hot Wife

Chief Petty Officer

I had that same motor in the 60's and it was a great one. Nice rig.

Red face Re: 1957 Cadillac Aluminum Boat

Sorry for the mistakes in my first post. I'll admit that in my excitement over seeing the boat on this thread, I rushed through the rules without really paying attention. (more like, hit agree and go!) I'll be a little less hasty from now on! I'm in the southeastern part of the state, but went to ASU for a bit, before moving to Texas. (UTA) I've been back here since 1985. Thanks for the tips. I'll be here often!

Excellent! I just found this thread while googling for info on the boat I picked up at the scrapyard yesterday:

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

From what I can gather it is a '57 Riviera? - OP, did you confirm yours was a '57 as well?

My plan is to polish it like the OP, but I'm uncertain if the red paint is going back on. My wife and I are discussing powering it with a jet ski conversion to keep the lines really clean (we'd fabricate a rear deck if we go that route.)

OP - did you have to source original replacement parts for yours? If so, would you share your sources? I'm missing a few bits as you can see.

Thanks for starting the thread - your boat is an inspiration - precious little imagery of polished Cadillacs so far on the internet (unless I'm not looking in the right places)

Hi eim. Welcome to iboats. Helluva score you found at the scrapyard! Who in the world would do that to such as a sweet boat? Glad you saved her. Only a few rules for tinnies. No Pressure Treated wood. Instead, use non-PT and seal it. Mount all wood with Stainless Steel hardware dipped in a bit if 3M 5200 and/or aluminum pop-rivets. Prime with Zinc Chromate Self-Etching primer, then paint with the color of your choice. Lots of threads here in the forums on how to paint tin boats. Congrats on the new toy! Keep us posted on the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by eimkeith View Post
    Excellent! I just found this thread while googling for info on the boat I picked up at the scrapyard yesterday:

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

From what I can gather it is a '57 Riviera? - OP, did you confirm yours was a '57 as well?

My plan is to polish it like the OP, but I'm uncertain if the red paint is going back on. My wife and I are discussing powering it with a jet ski conversion to keep the lines really clean (we'd fabricate a rear deck if we go that route.)

OP - did you have to source original replacement parts for yours? If so, would you share your sources? I'm missing a few bits as you can see.

Thanks for starting the thread - your boat is an inspiration - precious little imagery of polished Cadillacs so far on the internet (unless I'm not looking in the right places)

Welcome to iboats.

PLEASE start your own thread and DO NOT hijack someone's older thread. Not considered good practice.
    This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
    Please, shop iboats first!!