Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thread: transom cap?

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Default transom cap?

I am just about done with my project '65 Johnson tri-hull. I replaced the transom and did all the glass work with great success thanks to all the info found here. but I have one small issue. it had a 2 piece aluminum cap over the top of the transom. kind of like 2 "L"s that slid over and under each other to adjust for different thicknesses. it was about 1/16" thick. the old parts are way to mangled to reuse. I tried searching all over the iboats site with no luck. my transom is 1 1/2" thick and the area in question is 36" long. what should I do now?
    TIA Todd

Rear Admiral

Default Re: transom cap?

Quote Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
    I am just about done with my project '65 Johnson tri-hull. I replaced the transom and did all the glass work with great success thanks to all the info found here. but I have one small issue. it had a 2 piece aluminum cap over the top of the transom. kind of like 2 "L"s that slid over and under each other to adjust for different thicknesses. it was about 1/16" thick. the old parts are way to mangled to reuse. I tried searching all over the iboats site with no luck. my transom is 1 1/2" thick and the area in question is 36" long. what should I do now?
    TIA Todd
    Could you use thin wall aluminum angle. You can get it at HD in 4' and 8' lengths up to 2" wide. It cuts smooth and easy with a bi-metal blade in a chop saw.

Petty Officer 2nd Class berry79's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sschefer View Post
    Could you use thin wall aluminum angle. You can get it at HD in 4' and 8' lengths up to 2" wide. It cuts smooth and easy with a bi-metal blade in a chop saw.
    I was just logging in to say the exact same thing.LOL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, cool. I'll go check it out tonight. how should a guy attach it? I assume screws would be a bad idea. maybe some PL 400?
    also is it easy to bend? my transom has a slight curve bowing out from side to side. in 3 feet it bows about 1/2"-3/4"

Rear Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
    OK, cool. I'll go check it out tonight. how should a guy attach it? I assume screws would be a bad idea. maybe some PL 400?
    also is it easy to bend? my transom has a slight curve bowing out from side to side. in 3 feet it bows about 1/2"-3/4"
    Mine is just nailed on believe it or not. I would use small screws if you can get enough bite to hold it in place. I used 3M 5200 on all the transom edges to prevent water sepage. If you use thin wall I think it will form up for you. Thick wall (1/8") would require a bit of work.