Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Petty Officer 1st Class

Default My Rustoleum paint Job. + new seats

Hello all. Just thought i would stop by and share my latest project. Boat is a 1979 Checkmate Trimate II. Was painted with the roll and tip technique using thinned gloss black rustoleum and majic hardener from TSC. The red was taped off and sprayed with a rustoleum rattlecan. also some pics of new rear seats i built and upholstered (no-sew)

386587_10151161365236682_980356095_n.jpg
    582459_10151161365176682_240271330_n.jpg
    400101_10151161365296682_1693838417_n.jpg
    734167_10151161365356682_166497775_n.jpg
    481357_10151161365676682_722268449_n.jpg

Default Re: My Rustoleum paint Job. + new seats

Dude!... your boat has gills!
    I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote Originally Posted by jigngrub View Post
    Dude!... your boat has gills!
    haha, the raised sections in the fiberglass molds lend themselves to be in a different contrasting color, at least i thought.

Your project looks real good!

Looks like you put some time into it.
    I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote Originally Posted by jigngrub View Post
    Your project looks real good!

Looks like you put some time into it.
    I'm home for Christmas break for a month and drive myself crazy sitting around the house. Have to stay busy! what you see is 6-8 hr/day for the past two weeks, 5ish days a week

Hey, I may not love the colors, but you did a great job shooting it! It looks fabulous, and if you & your's like the combo, great! Well done!

The raised fiberglass areas weren't contrasted in gel originally? It doesn't look like it in your 1st pix, but it does look like they might have been covered w/ vinyl/sticker/decals:

Did the hardener bring up the sheen/gloss level on the black? It often does... And you did wear an iso rated respirator when shooting the paint w/ hardener? Correct?

The merc getting similar attention & paint?

Seats all look good too, nice job!
    60 Glastron FireFlite
    63 SC Jet:Bedliner SURVIVOR
    Fit 2B Paddled
    57 Duracraft

Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride
    Majic 3/2004~12/2011

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote Originally Posted by jbcurt00 View Post
    Hey, I may not love the colors, but you did a great job shooting it! It looks fabulous, and if you & your's like the combo, great! Well done!

The raised fiberglass areas weren't contrasted in gel originally? It doesn't look like it in your 1st pix, but it does look like they might have been covered w/ vinyl/sticker/decals:

Did the hardener bring up the sheen/gloss level on the black? It often does...

The merc getting similar attention & paint?

Seats all look good too, nice job!
    the raised areas were not originally contrasted in color. The original colors were a metalic black with a metallic red strip that went ~6" below and above the rub rail. The original gel is very pretty when it's in good shape. However, this boat spent way too many years neglected under the sun. The gel was sadly beyond saving. Also, i do like the colors, but i also chose the colors because the original title has the original colors on it and i did not want to run into issues with that discrepancy if and when i sell the boat. i believe the hardener brought out some more gloss, but it is hard to say as i do not have anything to compare it to without hardener. Also, it has yet to be buffed, going to wait at least 30 days before hitting it with a buffer and polishing compound. That was my first ever go at building/upholstering seats but i am very satisfied with the results- for an amateur. Funny you should ask about the motor, the cowlings are sitting in my garage now waiting to be stripped. Thank's for your kind words!

Very nice work!

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote Originally Posted by friscoboater View Post
    Very nice work!
    just got started reading your cvx-18 thread and watching videos. I'm not worthy!

Great job checkmate. There is no better way to spent winter time off than working on a boat.
    Glen
    2012 SOTY Winner"
    current restor 1976 Hoilday 18
    1986 Starcraft SS201 current rebuild (Complete) "SOLD
    http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats/1986-ss-201-a-543074.html
    My 79 18 SS rebuild http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....hlight=dozerii "SOLD"

Lieutenant Commander greenbush future's Avatar

Very respectable job you did on that baby, with paint, we all know it's about the prep, and your boat looks great. I would hate to use live bait of any kind with the white interior, but it looks just great!! Depending on where you are the dark color on the boat could be a scorcher, but that isn't a sun bathing boat anyways. Go fast and enjoy the nice new ride!

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote Originally Posted by greenbush future View Post
    Very respectable job you did on that baby, with paint, we all know it's about the prep, and your boat looks great. I would hate to use live bait of any kind with the white interior, but it looks just great!! Depending on where you are the dark color on the boat could be a scorcher, but that isn't a sun bathing boat anyways. Go fast and enjoy the nice new ride!
    yes, the white is very annoying to keep clean. Magic Erasers, bleach, and armorall are my friends. Only reason for the white is the boat came with a roll of white vinyl when i purchased it 3 years ago.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wonder if there has ever been a study on the psychological effects on the brain and a brand spanking new paint job?

Master Chief Petty Officer SDSeville's Avatar

Rattle can and roll and tip? Looks like a pro sprayed it. Nice work!!
    SDSeville
    1986 19' Sea Ray Seville BR
    Merc 470 A679763/Alpha 1
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=380371 (Splashed!)

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote Originally Posted by SDSeville View Post
    Rattle can and roll and tip? Looks like a pro sprayed it. Nice work!!
    Thanks! the pictures do not show defects though, there are a few places with a little orange peel and a few runs on the lower section, hopefuly that all comes out after wetsand/buff in a month or two.

Carefull when buffing. Unless you put on 3+ coats you can buff thru pretty easily.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote Originally Posted by Woodonglass View Post
    Carefull when buffing. Unless you put on 3+ coats you can buff thru pretty easily.
    there are three coats, thanks for the warning though, i plan to be pretty light with buffing. it looks a million times better now with no sanding or buffing, and that was all i was going for

need some help on the rustoleum topside marine paint, well i am not a painter my first time, well i am going to be painting my 19ft fiberglass boat i will be spraying it on, and has anyone ever used valspar enamel hardener could anyone tell me how to mix the paint for spray,some people said 1/2 cup of hardner and 1/2 cup of acetone and mix , and i will be using a hvlp paint gun with a 1.4 spray tip or should i go bigger like a 2.0 tip please help,

thanks dan

Petty Officer 1st Class

There should be some product specific instructions on the can. If not, check their web site. Just remember, the quality of the paint job is directly related to how well the prep is done :-)

Petty Officer 1st Class

As for the runs, you can lightly sand them down......and I mean lightly. Nothing too coarse, perhaps carefully on the run itself with 600 grit just to take most of the height off it. Then a 1000 grit. Then carefully use the typical rubbing compound and buff it to match the surrounding area. Black is difficult as it really shows imperfections....where white doesn't. Worst case scenario is you go too deep and have to touch up with some more paint. Then you can simply use some light compound to blend it it on the edges. It depends on how bad the runs are. If they are barely noticeable and out of the way, you might just decide to live with them! If you're unsure about your skills in making it match, you can always carefully sand the runs off and then tape off the area for another stripe or other cosmetic addition to cover it up! Sometimes that's easier for beginners.

Orange peel is likely due to contaminants on the surface, such as wax, grease, oil. I wouldn't sand the orange peel unless you are ready to go all the way down to the surface.

I spent 3 months doing a 19 foot ski boat to perfection about a decade ago. I wish I hadn't. I got so paranoid about anything that could possibly scratch it. Functionality is best I think......if the boat is not for show, but for playing, skiing, fishing, etc.....you'll be the happiest with a 'good' paint job, not a perfect one. That way you won't freak out when you hit that little twig floating in the water, afraid you may have scratched the hull :-)