Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Making a Bench Seat (Frames, Foam & Upholstery) w/Videos

Quote Originally Posted by jbcurt00 View Post
    Looks good, wrinkles or no wrinkles. Did you make the rear bench to be a lift in & out bench?
    Yes, It will be a lift out seat. My plan is to make some 18" pyramids for the front seats ( I actually have 3 of the seats) and be able to remove the Bench seat and place the Tall Pyramid bases in the boat for fishing. We'll see how that all works out. I have soooo many plans and never enough time to get them all executed. Does anyone want to share the winning lotto numbers with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodonglass View Post
    Does anyone want to share the winning lotto numbers with me!
    Wow,

Thanks man,

Really, WOG, I greatly appreciate you generously offering to share your winnings with me

wait, oh, you WANTED to get the numbers....

I guess I need more coffee..............

The lift out bench turned out really good. It's only lift out to accommodate fishing seats, not for dockside use?
    '60 Glastron FireFlite
    '63 SC Jet: Bedliner SURVIVOR
    Fit 2B Paddled
    '57 Duracraft

Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride
    Majic 3/2004~12/2011

Hey, Dockside Use, Never considered that. You are a Famn Denius!

Hey, Dockside Use, Never considered that. You are a Famn Denius!
    Gamn Denius?

Even a busted watch is right twice a day.

I wish dockside was original thinking. The 60's Glastron's advertised some of the seats in some of the models as 'Dockside Use Ready' and show even single seaters being handed overboard by a woman to another woman standing on the dock. Maybe showcasing a feature for the ladies (convenience, or lightweight?), family picnic seating, removal for fishing. Heck, it was the 60's, it was probably plain ole' vanilla: sexist.

I posted a question in my thread a ways back asking for info/details @ the original look & build, plus building them now as removable and securely fastened down, esp the single seats.

This isn't a very good pix but shows kind of 3/4 seats along the gunnel & no bench in 1 of the layouts of the 60 FireFlite:
    '60 Glastron FireFlite
    Fit 2B Paddled
    '57 Duracraft

Majic 3/2004~12/2011

I'm building Aluminum L-Brackets for the Seat Base and they will screw into stainless inserts in the deck like these... this allows flush mounting and water to flow thru and to the bilge.

This is probably similar to how you were mounting them anyway, but do you think the AL L bracket would stand up to use while out of the boat? And screw knobs per side in the boat?

And through bolt the runner to the L?
    Seat bracket.jpg
    '60 Glastron FireFlite
    Fit 2B Paddled
    '57 Duracraft

Majic 3/2004~12/2011

This is probably similar to how you were mounting them anyway, but do you think the AL L bracket would stand up to use while out of the boat? And screw knobs per side in the boat?

And through bolt the runner to the L?
    Seat bracket.jpg

That's exactly How I plan on mounting them. Not sure how the AL will fair for Dock Use since I did not contemplate that on the Git Go. May have some re-thinking to do.

About the AL abuse dockside & can't we use the same theory as attaching the L to the boat, but have 2 epoxied runner dock 'feet' & shorter screw knobs to attach the dock 'feet' when we take the bench out of the boat? Maybe even w/ a rubber pad under it like a chair leg pad/foot. Or your infamous $1 cutting board strips w/ grooves as an abrasion surface?
    '60 Glastron FireFlite
    Fit 2B Paddled
    '57 Duracraft

Majic 3/2004~12/2011

About the AL abuse dockside & can't we use the same theory as attaching the L to the boat, but have 2 epoxied runner dock 'feet' & shorter screw knobs to attach the dock 'feet' when we take the bench out of the boat? Maybe even w/ a rubber pad under it like a chair leg pad/foot. Or your infamous $1 cutting board strips w/ grooves as an abrasion surface?
    And I thought I was creative. I got some of that cutting board left over. That's a Great Idea. Again, a Gamn Denius.

And I thought I was creative. I got some of that cutting board left over. That's a Great Idea. Again, a Gamn Denius.
    Again, busted watch, 2X/day accuracy....

I had thought to include screwing the dock 'feet' up into the seat bottom, but then the 't'nut screw insert thingy is in the part your trying to screw through not into. A second set of over drilled holes that are bigger then the screw diameter, but smaller then the knob 'shaft'????

Run w/ it, & I'll learn how to do it watching your progress!
    '60 Glastron FireFlite
    Fit 2B Paddled
    '57 Duracraft

Majic 3/2004~12/2011

How bout dockside rocking chair feet?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    '64 MFG Rebuild
    70HP Chrysler Project
    MFG forum thread http://forums.iboats.com/mfg/64-edin...ay-524708.html
    Glassmaster tri-hull project http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...ct-614743.html

WOG 3 actual upholstery related Q's:
    • Any chance you could do me a favor & add this to your signature line?
    • Did you get your upholstery thread from the oddjobber ebay store you posted a couple of times @ vinyl purchasing?

EDIT: Found the answer to below in Post #8:

• What weight, makeup thread? Nylon & polyester are both listed as 'marine' & outdoor. It's only a couple bucks per spool. 1200+/- yards, seems like a lot, 1 spool? Or as many as needed to be 1 spool per vinyl color.

Thanks, Greatly appreciate the 503A hookup. Sold, p/up pending. It's a tad odd, but I'll be paying in cash upon inspection & p/up, so no harm. The other machine isn't out of my way when I'm in Pittsburgh this weekend. So I may go see it too. Who knows maybe I'll be turning & burning vintage sewing machines to pay for my vinyl.... Including gas I'll be under $140 for 2 Slant-o-matics. And I had to make both trips anyway, so take the $30 for each trip in gas off & I'm at $80/2 slants.... Not to shabby. Shenanigans may now continue, or not...
    Last edited by jbcurt00; January 31st, 2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Found answer to 1 question already
    '60 Glastron FireFlite
    Fit 2B Paddled
    '57 Duracraft

Majic 3/2004~12/2011

I use this thread...DABOND UVR POLYESTER THREAD V 69 MARINE 4oz SPOOL WHITE and it get it from here...http://myworld.ebay.com/textile_spec...id=p4340.l2559

I updated my Signature to reflect the Bench Seat Thread.

Thanks, have a good night. I'll let ya know about the machines...
    '60 Glastron FireFlite
    Fit 2B Paddled
    '57 Duracraft

Majic 3/2004~12/2011

First let me qualify my input by saying I know nothing, but I did stay at a holiday on last night! But...I would not use those type of fasteners. I have 6 Solid Oak dining room chairs that use these to attach legs, seats and back...in the first year of use they were all so loose I had to pull them out and use a different anchoring system. I used expanding concrete inserts (also, would not use these for a boat, as they are not stainless) Which have lasted longer than the thread in inserts, but still not perfect.

I think your idea is awesome and sound; however, I'm afraid these threaded inserts mounted in plywood will have much less grabbing/staying power than the solid oak in my dining chairs, especially with the vibrations from a boat! The inserts (maybe only one will do this?) will eventually "egg-out" their holes and cause the insert to loosen, not to mention introducing moisture to the equation, which if the bolts freeze will be difficult to screw in/out then you'll have to pull them through your nice new floor!

My rock and a stick method...I would use epoxied plywood with stainless "T" nuts on the existing deck that way there's no penetration through the deck (see attached horrible sketch). Not as clean nor as industrious, but IMO, a easier/more secure way to keep your seats in.

I'm looking for a better anchor system...
    9/2013-Current 1996 Chris Craft Concept 18: 5.0FL Volvo Penta SX Outdrive 1.66
    8/2007-9/2012 1982 Baja BR184: 200 Mercury Blackmax
    -SOLD
    "I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Your reasoning is very sound and I have considered it. If the threaded anchors are not secured with epoxy or 5200 then they will have a tendency to "egg out". I too have used these anchors many times in my woodworking experience and have always made sure to secure them with epoxy. I appreciate your input however due to my desire to have my deck surface on one level I'm gunna keep it like it is and see how it goes. I may end up going with your advice cuz it IS spot on and the preferred method for attaching pedestals etc..

Chief Petty Officer craigweaver's Avatar

Wood, if you find a good cheap sewing machine in the center of lower peninsula Michigan, I could be inclined to check it out

Love what you're doing with the seats.

Found 1, now if it shipping was less then the purchase price, I'd buy it. Think I can sell the Mrs on His & Hers????

'60 Glastron FireFlite
    Fit 2B Paddled
    '57 Duracraft

Majic 3/2004~12/2011

You're probably right with the 3M 5200...I tried gorilla glue on the chairs and it just made a huge globby mess of the threads and made 'em tough to get out when I couldn't get the bolts in! Here are few other options. not sure if they're any more secure or a any better of a solution (not implying you have any problems our are looking for other solutions...just my $.0002 worth.) In the end I'm sure the threaded inserts will work great...I mean how many times are your gonna have those seat in/out? One last thought, then I'll quit interjecting...maybe you could use some neoprene or rubber washers between the angle and insert? Might help cushion and hopefully keep some water out?

Great Job on the seats BTW, I love the way they turned out!
    Brett

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...54&cat=1,41637
    http://www.twinsrecreation.com/Boat-..._p_62810.html#
    9/2013-Current 1996 Chris Craft Concept 18: 5.0FL Volvo Penta SX Outdrive 1.66
    8/2007-9/2012 1982 Baja BR184: 200 Mercury Blackmax
    -SOLD
    "I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Chief Petty Officer 73Chrysler105's Avatar

Here's my thoughts and again as will most of us here I know nothing so not sure this is even worth $.02. I think epoxying those inserts in will help great I also think the idea of attaching a rubber strip on the bottom of the aluminum is a great idea maybe epoxy the rubber to the botton of the AL Angle so that it is always with it and then goes with it when dockside. The only real advantage that these screw in fasteners have over T-nuts is that they can be added after the sole is installed rather than having to predetermine and predrill the holes and install T-Nuts prior to being able to test the layout. T-Nuts would be my preferred way as they will hold from the backside. I would still epoxy the T-nuts to seal and secure them further. But in this scenario the screw in fittings just may be the best overall choice because then you can put the seat in mark your holes drill and install after the sole is installed. Now if only I coul dfind the deals ya'll are on sewing machines the other half wouldn't be so sticker shocked when I tell her what I am going to have to spend to get a decent machine. All the ones I am finding around here are $150+ with a few around $200 and most over $500 ranging up to $900 ouch. Hard to spend that on my $250 boat but then again I am putting $1500 into a $250 boat whats another grand. LOL
    Chris

74 Chrysler Conqueror SIII Superbee 340 Jet (getting Magnum360)
    http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/...slerConqueror/

My thread on the resto
    http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/74-chrysler-conqueror-siii-superbee-340-jet-rebuild-restoration-524432.html

67 Carlson Ex Circle Track Vdrive Big Block Mopar power
    http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...on-610004.html

Previously owned
    73 Galaxie Trihull with 105HP Chrysler OB

Mopar or nocar ( make that Boat)

The thing I hate most in life is GoFer work. Go Fer this and Go Fer that. I had to do some of that this morning to get everything together for the Bench Seat Frame Feet. And then It started Raining. I'm not complaining cuz we needed it badly. Slowed things down a bit but I did get the feet completed and mounted but that's about all. I wanted to get the deck ground down and the front seat bases epoxied in but I guess tomorrow is another day. Here's the feet...

Here's the Pads made out of my trusty $1.00 cutting board material.

I decided to rivet the pads to the angle. I think it worked out great.

I then used Stainless bolts and Lock Nuts to mount them to the wood Frame.

I'll remove em then coat the frame with epoxy and Paint with Hardener and the Seat will be Done!!!!!

Here's the Pads made out of my trusty $1.00 cutting board material
    That $1 just keeps on giving! Looking good! w/ pads reevited on L bracket, just getting longer knob screws?

Have a good weekend!
    '60 Glastron FireFlite
    Fit 2B Paddled
    '57 Duracraft

Majic 3/2004~12/2011

I've got another Idea on how to attach. I'm gunna work on that tomorrow and have some pics then.

Done

"Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms"
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....13#post3586813

"My Flamingo"
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=384982

"Building and Upholstering a Bench Seat"
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=524995&page=1

"Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks"
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=384982&page=10

"Denial...Ain't just a River in Egypt!"---Mark Twain

Looks good wood, your an inspiration to us all!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast