Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Seaman Apprentice

Default Re: J. Studebaker Boat A Rare Find

Thanks for the info Basher, that is really great news. The boat is really strong.

I just had mahogany wood floors put in and I did drill some more holes for pole holders. I will have to get some new pics up.

It is just a great boat. My biggest problem is the old trailer. I still have more weld jobs to do on it and of course my 1965 9.5 evinrude is temperamental...lol

Yours looks so clean and shiny, proof you took great care of it! Good job.

I wood sell mine for $3,000 because I am not that attached yet, but she will probably stay in the family because most people have no idea what an all welded boat is worth?

Thanks again for the info,

Doug

Probably the only boat on iboats that's ever flown over Germany. Awesome find!
    There are three types of people in this world:
    Those who understand math and those who don't.

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, only on this site can a person get such great info on boats from well informed people.

Doug

Cadet

Big Doug,

Just spent the last 12 hours in my Studebaker with a client. It's a great river boat. Very easy to handle in fast moving water. If I have only one person to guide I use it every time, it's a river guides dream.

It does take time and some elbow grease to make her shine. The first time was the toughest because someone painted it gray so I had to strip it first. A tip is never use sand paper or any-other abrasives. I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish. It's good stuff. The more you apply it the better it looks.

You'll find out, there is one problem with the old girl, it is finding a trailer that she'll like. I have yet to do this! Sometimes she'll trailer like a dream, then there is the other times.... Anyway I have a Load Rite "LIL" Ryder (little Ryder) it has bunks over the trailer tires and a wide roller center on the neck. It's not too bad of a set-up. I would call mine a semi-V boat but if you really look at it the bottom is flat with only a V shape 3 feet forward. It's a tough boat to trailer.

I drilled holes in mine as well. I also have mahogany floors, for which I drilled many holes. I figure I can fill them if needed. This is the first boat my father and I bought so it holds good memories. I have too sons as well so selling it is out of the question. Maybe 20 years from now I'd consider it. Now no way!

Post some pictures of yours after she's fixed up. I'd love too see it.

Seaman Apprentice

it is finding a trailer that she'll like
    Man...you ain't kidding. We can not get this trailer right, even after we keep welding new boards and rollers...lol

I will keep looking for a good solution to the trailer.

I do love the boat. I have been killing the crappie with it. It does get a lot of attention on the water. People just laugh when they see my junk trailer.

Doug

Cadet

I have a 15 hp 2 stroke Mercury on a 15 foot boat. It takes too long for it to plane out. With only one person it bounces bad at speed. I cannot trim the engine, that won't work. I am thinking of putting a foil on the engine. I figure a dolphin, stingray or some other brand. Concerns I have are, will a foil impact my overall speed? Another concern is drilling holes into the engine for mounting does it weaken the mounting?
    It's an old boat (1951 Studebaker) I'll call it a semi V hull. From the bow back only about 2 feet is V Shaped from there to the stern it has a flat bottom. It is not your classic semi V configuration. With my son in front (200 pounds) and I in the rear (240 pounds) at full speed my bow is out of the water about a foot. Other than loosing weight (never gonna happen) and moving my gas tank and battery forward is there any other ideas to have it plane out better. Or is a foil the ticket? I don't want to lose speed at full throttle.

Basher 55

i just purchased a boat from a private individual he had almost no knowledge of the boat other then it said studebaker on the side when i went to register it i found out it is a 1959 studebaker 14' aluminum boat i have searched and searched the net for info on this boat and found nothing it doesn't have the steering wheel like this one does but it does have the 2 sideways bench seats in the back it is amazingly clean boat for its age.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cadet

Daniel,

Check on page two of this post. You've purchased a rare vessel

Cadet

I have a 1956 Studebaker 22. It is approx. 14 foot all welded aluminium.
    It was purcashed new in 1957 by my great grandfather in Yuma Az. He bought it for
    a fishing trip to Alaska. I found a newspaper article my Grandmother had saved from 1958 with a picture of the boat on top of his car while preparing for the trip.
    He later passed the boat to my grandfather then my grandfather to me.
    I remember fishing all over Arizona in this boat while growing up.
    I still use this boat to this day. In fact, I just got back from a Lake Mead yesterday.
    The boat is very well built. It is still sound and doesn't leak.
    I,ve never seen or heard of any others like it until now.

Cadet

Mine also has Studebaker written on the side.
    I'm pretty sure it is original.
    Actually it has Studebaker 22 written on both sides.

Seaman Apprentice

Well, its good to see a few other boats like mine. Thanks for posting Daniel and Bud.

Doug

Hi there, My father and I have a studebaker 14ft boat we picked up under an old boat house. I know little about the boat itself but would like to maybe swap some pics. Ours is a 1956 and the sticker you have is the same on ours. Our model is a 22. The sides of the boat are painted Studebaker "22" My email is EDIT . I would love to see more of your boat.
    Tom
    Last edited by ezmobee; March 29th, 2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Email address removed. Please use the PM system. Thanks.

Hi everyone, I live in Kansas and also have the same boat as Basher and Daniel I like it as well. I was told it was a 1959 14 ft. and has 1960 10 hp Johnson. I searched all over for more info, this is the only place I have found anything. Thanks for the info. I will try to get some pics. It's a great boat i take the outboard off some times and hit some big local ponds and it is also good at that if you have a decent place to back in. Good luck to everyone fishing.

Seaman Apprentice

@Basher 55

Did you figure out how to keep the bow down? I tell you what. I added the mahogany floor and two large marine batteries under the bow, and that has helped the boat stay steady and bow down. I now have a Johnson 18 hp from 1960 on it. It pushes me and the boat about 11-12 mph. I have fished like crazy from it and am really attached now. I to am think of starting a fishing guide service (part time). As you state it will be comfortable for one person with guide. I had some custom brackets made for the troll motor, and I have some custom aluminum letters being made for the side of the boat (Studebaker 1959).

I also found a trailer that fits the boat like a glove!!! Yeah.

Daniel, I had the same boat that you have pictured. I bought it in Kansas City about 23 years ago with a trailer for 550.00. I loved that boat and it was my first. When we moved to Atlanta I loaded it up in the back of a u-haul trailer and boat and took it with me. A couple years latter money was tight and kids needed school clothes so the wife sold it for 300.00. I was not happy about it but time were tuff. Mine had the same back sideways seats as your. Anyway, today i bought another one. But this one has three bench seats to it. It is beat up some but still no leaks. Paid 375.00 for it and a old homemade trailer. I will post pictures latter. These boats withstand anything you throw at them. My first one we throw off the side of a strip pit as we had no other way to get it in there. I was very young, about 24. Them we tied a rope on it a dragged it back up after fishing all day. Just glad to have another one here.

Chief Petty Officer starcrafter65's Avatar

Big Doug - Cool boat you have there - I will be interested to see how that Shark Hyde works - keeps us up to speed with videos and pics. I have a Starcraft where i left the hull bare and would like to polish it without wearing out my elbows....not sure if that is possible.

I have seen Shark Hyde Cliff sprout up on other forums defending/promoting his products - I have not seen anyone replicate the results of their youtube website stuff though.....I have been waiting for someone to try it as i have been interested in trying it.

Keep up the updates!!
    Clark
    "Bare Naked Lady" 1968 Starcraft Holiday 18 w/ 130 Merc + Alpha One Transplant I/O.
    My Resto Thread
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....35#post2683135

Hi,

I just seen that Doug had this boat on craigslist and I sent him a message with some literature of his boat. His boat was built here in Topeka,Ks in the 50's (as mentioned). My grandfather John Studebaker and grandfather James Studebaker started out by building violet plant stands for my great grandmother and they loved to fish and decided to jump into building boats. Grandpa would select his welders by giving them one test, they had to be able to weld two pieces of aluminum foil together if they burnt a hole through the foil they failed. John Studebaker had five kids Johnny, Jimmy, Gary (my dad), Shirley, and Marilyn. Grandpa died in 1959 and the business stayed alive for a few more years and none of the kids were old enough to continue the business so they closed the doors in early 60's. Studebaker or Vio holda Studebaker had the diamond plate design patented and sold the patent to Kaiser Aluminum and that is how they got on the map. Studebaker boats were the first to use styrofoam under the seats to keep the boat from sinking if it capsized. I am 33 yrs old and the 9th generation of the studebaker family. It is truly an honor to carry this name and I have two studebaker cars myself and we do have a Studebaker boat as well.. It is the Studebaker 22, we have had it for about 20 years. Here is a link to my facebook page. I scanned all the brochures that I have and grandpa Paul's business card and name badge. I hope all of you enjoy the reading and if you have questions don't hesitate to ask. If I don't know I will ask my dad or uncles for the answer. My grandmother is still living and she is 86 yrs old.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2&l=0babd9fcf3

I enjoyed your video's Doug and I know my grandfather would be appreciative at the detail in cleaning the boat he made. Thank you...

Joe Studebaker
    Topeka, KS

Seaman Apprentice

I just wanted to get some updated pics for those asking questions. I use the boat for fishing and so far this boat handles waves like a charm. The sharkhide has held up ok. I will probably need to re-coat soon. I'm open to other products to.

studebaker-boat-003-5x7-225.jpgstudebaker-boat-5x7-225px-c.jpgstudebaker-boat-004-5x7-225.jpgstudebaker-boat-002-5x7-225.jpg

Boat is looking good. Nice looking power hanging off the back as well It's good to see you are getting some use out of the old gem.
    1969 Lonestar Medallion restoration

1972 Glastron GT-160 restoration

1973 Silverline Grand Bahama restoration

1991 Galaxie 19' 4.3 Mercruiser
    2007 F150 4x4 Supercrew
    A boat is just a big hull in the water you throw money into.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdoug View Post
    I just wanted to get some updated pics for those asking questions. I use the boat for fishing and so far this boat handles waves like a charm. The sharkhide has held up ok. I will probably need to re-coat soon. I'm open to other products to.

studebaker-boat-003-5x7-225.jpgstudebaker-boat-5x7-225px-c.jpgstudebaker-boat-004-5x7-225.jpgstudebaker-boat-002-5x7-225.jpg
    Rare and very nice. Why not include 4 pictures here starting out with the ugliest and the last being the nicest here http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/urgent-new-improvements-coming-section-read-568781.html
    This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
    Please, shop iboats first!!

I have a studebaker model22 from 1956 as well. Great little boat goes good with the feathercraft I have. Two little boat but completely different designs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seaman Apprentice

Holy cow! Sweet little Studebaker boat you got there my friend! It amazes me that there are more out there. I think that makes 7th that I know of still in existence.

Thanks for the post.

Seaman Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by boatnut74 View Post
    Boat is looking good. Nice looking power hanging off the back as well It's good to see you are getting some use out of the old gem.
    I have been taking her out on Lake Erie, out of Ashtabula for perch fishing and have been caught out 2 miles in 4 footers lol. But this boat handles them well. Even a 5 foot roller here and there, and I am still amazed it does not take water from the side.

I have a bilge pump that has never been needed hahaha. But, I don't get to cocky with Erie. Once the 3 footers come in, I try to leave, but them perch just beg me to stay as they commit suicide.

Seaman Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
    Rare and very nice. Why not include 4 pictures here starting out with the ugliest and the last being the nicest here http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/urgent-new-improvements-coming-section-read-568781.html

Because she is still ugly..lol. Well, I only put about 70 hours of work and the pictures just don't do the boat justice. The videos I made on youtube of this boat say more than the pics. Bu thanks for the compliments. I Love This Boat.

Doug

Cadet

Hello I have a studebaker 33 but can't find out how much they are worth. Do you have any idea? Thanks Mike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast