My old side panels..not a very good photo but the best I have
When I bought it my Bayliner had the original side panels which were really worn looking. During the 2008-09 winter my mom recovered them for me (pictured above). I had to remake one side (1/2'' ply) due to rot.
They looked good but I wasn't satisfied with how they didn't go all the way down to the deck and didn't have the best pockets. Due to time/budget constraints I wasn't able to get carpet to install to the inside of the hull, below and behind the side panels.
I found an original bimini top for my Capri on craigslist that summer but sadly found not to trailer it with it on at any speed...the bimini came off its attachment points on the side glass and tore up the side panels pretty bad. Another problem was that my mom used like spun polyester padding and things got really interesting when I tried putting screws through it
Well, that's all changing.
The idea I thought up was to use 1/4'' ply (light in weight) and make new panels that covered everything from the gunwhale to the deck. I wanted some usable storage space, built in cupholders, and more speaker holes (had only one on each side and will now have two).
It took a long time to cut and sand this but I think I have everything where it should be (the face shouldn't be visible with the new lounge seats in the way lol). The front most pocket (this side panel is for the post side btw) will be for charts along with cupholders for front and rear passengers. With the yet uncovered panel attached in the boat I measured how much room behind the panel I had to work with, up to 6 inches if I remember right in some places, and have cut the interior pieces for the pockets.
Picked up like 10 yards of 1/2'' open cell foam on ebay for like $55 shipped. This stuff won't wrap around screws.
4 yards of white marine vinyl from Jo Ann fabrics. $33 w/ 40% off coupon