Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Petty Officer 3rd Class

Default Glue Vinyl to the Foam?

Hey guys. Im trying to spruce up my used Wellcraft. I have taken the engine cover off and removed the vinyl and foam from the plywood. There is lots of rotten ply there, so I am going to build a new cover and reuse the foam and vinyl as they are are in pretty good shape. I hated to watch the vinyl flapping in the wind when trailering or at speed on the water. Is it proper to glue the vinyl to the foam in this case? If so, what kind of adhesive should I use and is there a technique to get the vinyl in the right spot?
    1997 Wellcraft Excel 19SSX.
    Merc 4.3LX, Alpha 1 Gen +.
    21P Stainless Mirage.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Default Re: Glue Vinyl to the Foam?

I'm no expert but I have done a few upholstery DIY projects. I don't glue to the foam at all. I am pretty sure the proper thing (and the way I have done it) is to pull the vinyl to where you want it and staple it and all sides. Make sure to use SS staples for boats! Make sure any seams are centered (or whereever they should be laid out) on the 'pretty side' before stapling on the back sides.

1991 Chaparral 2000SL
    Volvo Penta 5.7 SS Duoprop

A bad day on the water beats a good day doing almost anything else!

Seaman

We used spray glue on one of our boats to glue foam to the vinyl and over time the glue started to bleed thru the vinyl. You couldn't feel it but you could tell a color difference where the glue was. If you feel you need to glue in areas for a better job you might check with a local shop to see what they use.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beLX2H2QQ654gl

Try these products. You will want to glue the foam to the plywood but not
    glue the vinyl to the foam. GH

As been said dont glue to foam! If you do any little wrinkle you get will be permenate
    If you just stetch over the foam the sun & time will smooth everything out

MY FISHIN BUDDY
    East Texas Redneck
    SEMPER FI
    USMC '67 - '70

Master Chief Petty Officer superpop's Avatar

Nice boat, I just sold my 1996 Wellcraft 1950S last year. I redid most of the vinyl but not the sun pad. I have heard of some folks laying down a heavy mil layer of plastic sheeting before the vinyl so water does not get into the foam, you may want to do that as the sun pad typically sees lots of water.
    There is no replacement for displacement

2006 Chaparral 204SSi
    VP 5.0L GXi-F with SX Drive

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the advice folks. I was thinking of building a new wood cover like the old one and coating it with fiberglass, then putting the original foam and vinyl back on. The vinyl is shaped to the sun deck. What I was worried about is the vinyl is not really "stretched" anymore, just kind of laying on the foam pad. It flaps on the foam while trailering and on the water. This is what I was trying to prevent while keeping the stock look. Maybe I should try to stretch the vinyl a little when re-installing, or just not worry about the flapping.

DG
    1997 Wellcraft Excel 19SSX.
    Merc 4.3LX, Alpha 1 Gen +.
    21P Stainless Mirage.

Rear Admiral

Cut the foam larger than the wood. Use 3M spray 80 adhesive to glue the foam to the wood. Trim the foam wider than the wood by the same width as the thickness of the foam. When the glue dries (15 minutes) place the vinyl over the foam and secure to the back of the wood with staples.

The extra foam around the edges will help to tighten the vinyl and give you a smooth edge. Glueing down the foam to the wood keeps it from sliding around on you. That's the only reason you glue it.