Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Seaman Apprentice

Default Re: Floor Project - 1992 Sea Ray 180 Runabout

Quote Originally Posted by FlattopXXX View Post
    new to the board and beginning the same repairs that you fellow Sea Ray owners are doing. '89 Sea Ray 200 BR. Jerrybosard your 180 is the first Sea Ray I've seen in the older models that has the same interior lay out as mine. Mine also has two captains chairs with the bench seat across back with built in storage/coller underneath. Very large sun pad on top. The layout and room of this boat is the only reason I am going to attempt a restoration. I am looking for some pics of how the floor section over the gas tank is supposed to be supported. Mine was rigged together and I would like to know the right way to put it back.
    FlattopXXX,

The only reason why I bought the boat was because of the seating. My wife just loves the layout deck area and plenty of seating for everyone. It's very hard to find this style of seating when looking for used boats, in my opinion it seems to have more flexibility.
    I'd be glad to get you some more pics on how the gas/floor should look. I have not taken the stingers out yet, so I can put the gas floor top back on to give you an idea. Your gas tank should be a rectangle with notches out of the sides. Those notches will be filled with a custom made piece of wood used to secure it to the stingers. I can try and get you some measurements if you would like as well.

Thanks,

Jerry

Seaman Apprentice

All I can say is ... holy crap; there's a lot of foam in here!

Seaman Apprentice

Foam... foam... and more foam.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seaman Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by FlattopXXX View Post
    I am looking for some pics of how the floor section over the gas tank is supposed to be supported. Mine was rigged together and I would like to know the right way to put it back.
    Flattop,

Here are some pictures of the gas tank area with the top cover. I'll give more pictures when I put it back together, but this is what I have. I measured the hole in the floor using inside measurements it is 51" x 21.5".

Thanks,
    Jerry

Seaman Apprentice

More gas tank pics. Support piece of wood that fits down on the sides and the L bracket that holds down the custom support piece on the sides.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote Originally Posted by jerrybossard View Post
    All I can say is ... holy crap; there's a lot of foam in here!

Jerry,

I am with you on the foam. I didn't think I would ever get to the end it. I used a small hand saw to cut it into small chuncks. I really need to get off my butt and finish getting the outdrive stuff off of mine. Procrastination is setting in with the heat and skeeters. Thanks, Steven
    1987 All Weld flats boat w/115 Evinrude
    1993 Sea Ray 200BR (in pieces)
    1969 Plymouth Road Runner convertible

1993 Sea Ray 200 BR rebuild thread:
    http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/93-sea-ray-200-br-rebuild-stringers-floor-engine-394334.html

Steven

Cadet

I feel your pain guys.... Im about 3/4 through my foam. The heat and humidity makes its really tough. Greatest thing in the world when a nice big chunk comes out, isnt it?

Keep plugging!

Seaman Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 69rrvert View Post
    Jerry,

I am with you on the foam. I didn't think I would ever get to the end it. I used a small hand saw to cut it into small chuncks. I really need to get off my butt and finish getting the outdrive stuff off of mine. Procrastination is setting in with the heat and skeeters. Thanks, Steven
    Steven,

I also found the a drywall saw and a small wood hand saw with the use of pry bars did the trick. I only have one side of the engine compartment left. Then I will be removing the stingers and sanding/cleaning the heck out of it before I put stingers back in.

Thanks,

Jerry

Seaman Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by pmtom1 View Post
    I feel your pain guys.... Im about 3/4 through my foam. The heat and humidity makes its really tough. Greatest thing in the world when a nice big chunk comes out, isnt it?

Keep plugging!

I agree... the heat and humidity does not help. I've decided to take this evening and buy supplies vs working on the boat. Today we are expecting mid 90's with heat index into the 110 range and humidity reaching over 85%.

Jerry

Seaman Apprentice

Ok... for the past 4 days I have been working on putting in the stingers, fiberglassing the stingers in place, using pink 2" foam from Home Depot, pouring expandable foam, setting the driver and passenger seats and starting on the deck for the drivers side. I'll be posting pictures tomorrow.

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. Sorry for the delay on a couple more pictures. Here we are fiberglassing in the stingers and you will also see we poured foam in place and have leveled it off with a hand saw. I used some pink foam from HD to use as filler with the pourable foam. It worked well, but it is more difficult to cut when leveling the top. I would suggest in not having any pink foam exposed.

You will also see that we decided to work in hot temps... 94 degrees but the heat index was at 110 degrees. Let just say, I would not suggest working in that heat again.

You can also see I have put in the bolts for the two captain chairs. I decided to use pure resin on the bottom side of the chair supports to hold in the bolts from falling into the foam and/or the head rotating when securing down the chairs.

Thanks,

Jerry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

personally I don't like carpet in boats , I prefer to put new treated plywood , fiberglass and a good coat of gel coat to reseal the floor, and avoid water intrusion, carpet always keep moisture, dirt, grease, and all kind of things, specially if you like fishing, a gel coated deck is easy to clean, and maintain and always keeps dry if you have the boat tilted what make the deck last longer...using a boat cover is definably a good option, because also protect the seats, cushions and the the deck...i have been doing decks for a long time, never used carpet

Great work in the stringers and foam. I think mixing the pourable and the sheet foam is a very good idea.
    1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/18-starcraft-supersport-restoration-357767.html
    1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats/ezmobees-1966-jupiter-338633.html sold

Senior Chief Petty Officer MTribe08's Avatar

Here is a project that may help some of you out. 95 Monterey 210 deck/stringer replacement. Ripped out the old carpet, put down a new deck/fiberglass and then Gel Coated it. Put removable carpet in by www.corinthianmarine.com . Been nothing shy of fantastic so far. The boat is is in far better shape now than it was brand new.

Here is a link to all of the pictures I took throughout the project.
    http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/d...oat%20Project/

Here are a few Random ones of the Gel Coated Deck and carpet:The first one is obviously when the deck was going back in. But something you might want to seriously consider is putting drain holes at the base of your stringers, so that in the event that water does make its way outside of them (which it will) the water can make its way to the bilge. You can see I also left a channel between the stringer and foam for the water to run.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd334/DMSH2/Boat%20Project/Finished011.jpg
    1995 Monterey Montura 210 5.7l Merc Alpha 1
    2003 GMC Yukon 5.3l 3.73 gears

My Completed Deck/Stringer Restore
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....74#post2486474

Seaman Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by jiffyboat View Post
    personally I don't like carpet in boats , I prefer to put new treated plywood , fiberglass and a good coat of gel coat to reseal the floor, and avoid water intrusion, carpet always keep moisture, dirt, grease, and all kind of things, specially if you like fishing, a gel coated deck is easy to clean, and maintain and always keeps dry if you have the boat tilted what make the deck last longer...using a boat cover is definably a good option, because also protect the seats, cushions and the the deck...i have been doing decks for a long time, never used carpet
    I agree about the carpet... I'll never put carpet back in a boat unless I can remove it. I do have a cover for the boat and it does get pulled out of the water and tilted up a bit when it is parked. I'm planning on using the textured product called Durabak-18. Once I have glassed in all areas that need it I will be cleaning the deck and rolling on the product. I'm not a fan of using treated lumber because of the new chemicals used in the wood. It can rust/destroy different types of metals and I'm not willing to take that chance. Hopefully you have good luck with the treated lumber.

Thanks,

Jerry

Seaman Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ezmobee View Post
    Great work in the stringers and foam. I think mixing the pourable and the sheet foam is a very good idea.
    Thanks! I figured I'm not doing too bad since this is my first go around with replacing a floor by myself. I can thank everyone on this forum for the confidence and knowledge to give me the skills and tools needed to do the job. It may not all be pretty or perfect, but I like how it is turning out.

Seaman Apprentice

[QUOTE=MTribe08;2807704]Here is a project that may help some of you out. 95 Monterey 210 deck/stringer replacement. Ripped out the old carpet, put down a new deck/fiberglass and then Gel Coated it. Put removable carpet in by www.corinthianmarine.com . Been nothing shy of fantastic so far. The boat is is in far better shape now than it was brand new.

Here is a link to all of the pictures I took throughout the project.
    http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/d...oat%20Project/

Here are a few Random ones of the Gel Coated Deck and carpet:The first one is obviously when the deck was going back in. But something you might want to seriously consider is putting drain holes at the base of your stringers, so that in the event that water does make its way outside of them (which it will) the water can make its way to the bilge. You can see I also left a channel between the stringer and foam for the water to run.
    QUOTE]

Thanks for the information. I have decided to put drain holes in the stingers by the end of the gas tank. I have also attempted to put some channels in for the water to run and out the holes, but I believe the pourable foam may have blocked some of the channel so I am going to add a couple more holes in the stingers to the gas compartment.

Thanks again for the pictures! The boat looks great!

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. Sorry for not updating this thread sooner, but I have been really busy with working about 10 to 14 hours Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday last week on the boat to get it ready for a relaxing weekend. My wife wanted to take it out on the lake while we where camping with family so I had a dead line to meet and as many of us know... if the wife ain't happy; nobody's happy! :-)

So, I put pourable foam under the deck of the floor and left the center and front area open for the gas tank and a cubby hole for storage like many boats have. Once the foam was completed I built the back seats and then used fiberglass and resin on the seams of the joints. I also did a light coat of resin over the fiberglass floor (which may not have been needed), I did a second coat of fiberglass and resin on the joints. I did sand the joints between coats and then cleaned the floor to remove any dust or dirt before I rolled on the Durabak floor. I decided to put on the Durabak-18 gray textured rubberized floor over top of the wood. I'm very happy with the product, but I would say that 1 gallon covers 60 sq ft as it says, but it doesn't have enough of the rubber feel to it. I would suggest putting on three to four coats of the floor or use the smooth product over two coats of the textured product. The product is very tough and durable and does require two to four days of cure time that I highly recommend.

Once the floor was complete, then I could work on the seats, side panels and put on finishing touches. I still need to work on the back layout area as that wood has rotted out, but for now it is strong enough and will get us through this season.

We also decided to accent the sides and front by using the accent red color from the seats and pin stripe on the outside of the boat. My wife really likes the accent color. It gives it some "pop".

I will put up more pictures of the finished product in a couple of days.

Cadet

Helllo, I realize this is an old tread, but I am wondering if anyone has added a ski locker or in the floor storage to the 180 when doing a new floor? I have a 1992 180 and the floor needs redone, it does not have any in the floor storage, but I would like to add. Your thoughts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2