Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Seaman

Default Deck scews, can I use coated deckmate screws?

I know its recomended to use stainless screws, but could i get away with coated deckmate screws for pressure treated lumber or trex composite lumber they are guaranteed to life and they would be countersunk and filled then glassed over with epoxy resin and cloth?

Senior Chief Petty Officer jspano's Avatar

Default Re: Deck scews, can I use coated deckmate screws?

i was wondering about them too! i looked at them in the big box stores.
    i have a e-mail in to deckmate on the subject.
    Joe

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, DO NOT TAKE UP SKYDIVING

Senior Chief Petty Officer *EdC*'s Avatar

Deckmate screws are expensive... For what they cost, you might as well go stainless and never have to think about it again.....
    Just my 02 cents worth
    Regards,
    Ed

'68 MFG Edinboro LS-17
    '69 Mercury 800 EL
    Here's the link to my MFG Restoration
    http://forums.iboats.com/mfg/restoring-my-mfg-287734.html

This ole girl needed new power. Here's the link to my motor build.

http://forums.iboats.com/mfg/its-alive-its-alive-296896.html

"Cheap tools ain't good, and good tools ain't cheap"

Master Chief Petty Officer F14CRAZY's Avatar

Personally I just used drywall screws...

...zomg I didn't use stainless!?!?!?!?

I did the long process of overdrilling the screw holes in the stringers, filling them with epoxy, then predrilling for the screws again. The heads are countersunk on the deck, covered over with peanut butter, then the deck's glassed over. Not to mention the peanut butter I applied on top of the stringers before laying the deck down.

The deck and stringers are gonna be long rotten and gone before you'd have to worry about the screws not holding the deck down
    197133' Chris Craft Coho/Catalina Sedan, twin CC 327QA's, Paragon V drives. Restoration in progress1985 Bayliner Capri 1952 (19' cuddy),OMC 3.0L. Restored with the knowledge here on iBoats'70 (circa) Amphicat 6x6 AATV, future Coho tender'87 Kawasaki 650SX, '90

Tow rig: '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible 455ci cude U 4BBL factory dual exhaust

I used drywall screws to mate my transom boards as well as my stringer sections. As F14 said, as long as you seal them up, they won't rust. I also used deck screws to couple my deck to the stringers. I just dripped poly into the holes I predrilled and screwed them in before it set. They are now encased in poly surrounded by fiberglassed wood. If water hits the screws, I will be way more worried about the wood than a few screws. I say, don't stress about the screws and get the wood protected instead. After all, the early space shuttle capsule walls were only as thick as tinfoil and those guys survived space. Not everything must be awesome to work.

That said, if you can find SS screws for a decent price, all of this is moot.
    1990 Bayliner Capri 2050 BR - (My first runabout; Never seen her in water) ***Restore on hold***
    Restoration status: Painting hull Watch my progress
    Progress so far: Teardown - Transom - Stringers - Deck - Paint - Re-power - Interior Panels - Seating - Water Trial - Upholstery

The 10 steps of restoration denial - Which step are you?

Senior Chief Petty Officer MTribe08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *EdC* View Post
    Deckmate screws are expensive... For what they cost, you might as well go stainless and never have to think about it again.....
    Just my 02 cents worth
    Not my experience. Bought a box of Deckmates(100) for 8 bucks. The same sized stainless screw was nearly 50cents a piece.
    http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd334/DMSH2/Boat%20Project/Finished011.jpg
    1995 Monterey Montura 210 5.7l Merc Alpha 1
    2003 GMC Yukon 5.3l 3.73 gears

My Completed Deck/Stringer Restore
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....74#post2486474

i would think that on a fiberglass boat pre drilling and coating and sealing you could use just about any screw. you don't have that luxury on an alum boat
    Joe

I used ss on mine...but for laughs...the FW factory installed the deck with hundreds of nasty...rusty..staples...none sealed...deck not bonded to stringers...and that lasted probably 12 years or so before the rot started to get bad...I used a combination of 3M 4200 and the ss screws...then had a shop do the final 'glassing and gelcoat...it's gotta last longer than the crap job the factory did....staples...unsealed holes...carpet to hold moisture....

Just to show how GREAT it is to NOT have carpet...I have my boat covered now...just got 10 inches of snow on Fri...this is the 3rd major winter storm...I opened up the cover last weekend...everything is nice and dry...no moisture on the deck anywhere...when it had carpet...even after the whole winter...some areas NEVER dried out...because of the damp climate here....so I say...NO to carpet.!!! Yes gelcoat is hot in the summer but since we fish too we never get in the boat without sandals...boat shoes...etc....
    1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
    4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

I used deckmate screws on my last project and my current one. No issues.
    1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/18-starcraft-supersport-restoration-357767.html
    1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats/ezmobees-1966-jupiter-338633.html sold

here's the response to my e-mail

Thank you for contacting us. Home Depot owns the name Deckmate and they now have different vendors supply the screws that are put in the box. Our screws have a patented combination drive of Phillips Square. We can only answer for our screw. If "tampabay" means Florida, then that is a star drive screw distributed by Primesource.

We probably would recommend stainless in this type of application. Many times in boating, the wood and projects are exposed to harsh cleaning chemicals as well as water and possibly saltwater. Our Deckmate screws (and any coated barrier screw) is only as good as its coating. All the above mentioned elements can do a number on even the best of coatings.
    Once the coating is compromised, rust can start.

We hope you found this helpful. If we can be of any further service, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
    Mary strycharz for
    Phillips FAstener
    1-888-332-6283
    Joe

Petty Officer 1st Class

even so thats what im gonna use, the ones that were in my boat when i disassembled were almost 35 years old not stainless and still had a grab in the wood/glass even tho rusty and frail, now when im done if i get 15-20 years out of this little tub ill be happy