Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Petty Officer 1st Class a1964rn's Avatar

Default Re: Damaged Hull -- Pictures

You can drill holes into the transom, from the inside but not all the way through. If the shavings come out wet/dark, then it's rotten. If they come out light/dry, then it's not. One way to tell without having to peel the skin back.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter9Do View Post
    I'm 95% you will not be seeing me in a dress... i looked in the hole near the transom while i was trying to get the boat a little straighter on the trailer and i think that transom is rotted in the middle. But the time will come where we peel back the skin!
    I'm assuming that your talking about the inside skin of fiberglass. I've seen people remove the outer side of the transom. That would be a whole new ball game.
    As in people, there comes a time in your life when you realize what boat will always matter, what boat does matter, & what boat never did. So don't worry about the boats from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future. .

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1978-mfg-gypsy-rebuild-557457.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/tallcanadian?feature=mhee
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=dQQV332c3o0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHkfRJSORA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwSJjeFI298

Quote Originally Posted by tallcanadian View Post
    I'm assuming that your talking about the inside skin of fiberglass. I've seen people remove the outer side of the transom. That would be a whole new ball game.
    Yes, I have seen a thread on THT where a guy doing a transom on a Fountain 31 cut the outside rather than the inside. Of course, doing it that way, you would always wonder about the integrity of the re-glassing and if cracks along the cut seams would develop, etc.
    Best regards,
    Formula 330 Sun Sport
    Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 0F802039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 0F806199)
    1969 Mercury 7.5 HP Outboard (26346XX)
    My Formula 330SS Web Site: -> Link
    My Formula 242SS Web Site: -> Link
    My Catalina 22 Web Site: -> Link

Member of the Month - February 2013 http://www.iboats.com/blog/tpenfield...-of-the-month/

Quote Originally Posted by tpenfield View Post
    Yes, I have seen a thread on THT where a guy doing a transom on a Fountain 31 cut the outside rather than the inside. Of course, doing it that way, you would always wonder about the integrity of the re-glassing and if cracks along the cut seams would develop, etc.
    If the inside lams are still strong .. why would the outside lams be any different if it was applied correctly ?

The force of the power is going through the trans/stringers/bulks along the hull..

So tell me where is fixing an OB trans is better from the inside then the outside ?

I would be more concerned about a proper inside lam then an outside seam. .. and sometimes its much Quicker then the inside full blown tear down and lam.

YD.
    Iboats Helper

Quote Originally Posted by Yacht Dr. View Post
    If the inside lams are still strong .. why would the outside lams be any different if it was applied correctly ?

The force of the power is going through the trans/stringers/bulks along the hull..

So tell me where is fixing an OB trans is better from the inside then the outside ?

YD.
    Probably not an issue of breaking the integrity of the hull's outter skin for someone that does it for a living . . . as far as a first time for an amateur restorer . . . Sort of a trade-off of access versus laminating skill.
    Best regards,
    Formula 330 Sun Sport
    Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 0F802039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 0F806199)
    1969 Mercury 7.5 HP Outboard (26346XX)
    My Formula 330SS Web Site: -> Link
    My Formula 242SS Web Site: -> Link
    My Catalina 22 Web Site: -> Link

Member of the Month - February 2013 http://www.iboats.com/blog/tpenfield...-of-the-month/

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Merry Christmas everybody!!!!!

Merry Christmas everybody!!!!!
    Merry Christmas mate .

Quote Originally Posted by tpenfield View Post
    Probably not an issue of breaking the integrity of the hull's outter skin for someone that does it for a living . . . as far as a first time for an amateur restorer . . . Sort of a trade-off of access versus laminating skill.
    Id rather replace skin then replace Muscle .. if you know what I mean.

The main reason why the inside is gutted is Finish work. .. or if the stringers are shot anyways.

I would rather cut and gut from the outside on most of the transoms than remove a motor/pumps/elect. etc just to have a 2 hour session of lamination.

To each his own.

YD.

PS. but you are right in your suggestion pro vs DIYer.
    Iboats Helper

My research and experience have proven to me, that it is HIGHLY unusual for the stringers to be in satisfactory and usuable condition, when the transom is needing a full replacement. IF the stringers are engineered stringers then that could be the case and cutting the outer skin would be a viable method of replaceing the transom. Boats that are "Liner" constructed and fully glassed to the hull and underlying substructure, i.e. Boston Whaler's, then again cutting the outerskin makes sense. As YD stated the Inner lams are the most important structuralcomponent. The outside lams are more cosmetic, but IMHO, I'd try to avoid cutting the "Factory One Piece Molded" hull. Not saying it can't be done in a satisfactory way, just that in some cases it can unnecessarily complicate the process.

Merry Christmas!

In this article, under the Transom Repair How-to section, it tells you step by step how to replace the transom from the outside. YD is correct. If you are not replacing stringers, then replacing the exterior skin would be much easier. I think it would even be easier for a DIYer, because your not having to do fillets, re-tab stringers, etc., etc. Just my opinion.

Fiberglassic Guide to: Transoms, Floors, and Stringers - fiberglassics.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, if you're replacing stringers and all that good stuff would still replace the transom from the inside, correct?

So, if you're replacing stringers and all that good stuff would still replace the transom from the inside, correct?
    Yes, correct.

If your into a full blown resto .. then the inside is all you have to work with. Of course you have to replace the transom/stringers from the inside. Did I give you the Idea that you cant/should not ?

Quote Originally Posted by a1964rn View Post
    Yes, correct.
    YD.
    Iboats Helper

I personally would remove everything that needed to be removed all at one time, then do all the grinding and then clean up and get all of the dirty nasty hard work out of the way. Then you can work clean and build, build, build!
    I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your into a full blown resto .. then the inside is all you have to work with. Of course you have to replace the transom/stringers from the inside. Did I give you the Idea that you cant/should not ?
    YD.
    No, I took out of what you were saying is it's better to replace the transom from the outside... That's why I asked, if you're replacing everything you would want to go from the inside rather than the out side. You're only going from the outside when the transom is the only part you're replacing.

You've got it now. As I stated before...When a transom needs replacing, it's almost a given that the stringers will need replaced as well and therefore not cutting of the outer skin is normally done. Some special circumstances will dictate cutting the Outer Skin but rarely.

No, I took out of what you were saying is it's better to replace the transom from the outside... That's why I asked, if you're replacing everything you would want to go from the inside rather than the out side. You're only going from the outside when the transom is the only part you're replacing.
    Yup.. thats what I was suggesting . IF its only the transom then sometimes its better to approach it from the outside. I have seen members here that are trying to uncap an OB model with a splashwell. Next thing you know they have motor pics and a-frames trying to pry the deck off. All for a 3'x4'ish transom..

Quote Originally Posted by Woodonglass View Post
    You've got it now. As I stated before...When a transom needs replacing, it's almost a given that the stringers will need replaced as well and therefore not cutting of the outer skin is normally done. Some special circumstances will dictate cutting the Outer Skin but rarely.
    Unless boat builds have changed in the last decade .. The Transom Should be independently laminated. Meaning that its not exposed to the stringers or deck as such ( its encapsulated with glass all on its own ). So your kinda saying that if the transom is trashed then the fordeck must be rotted out too.

If the trans was glassed independently ( like it should have ) from the stringers then there should be NO reason for one to affect/infect the other. They are NOT Tied/married together.

Now if the transom/stringers/bulkies were installed all together in the lamination stage .. then its wood to wood and all bets are off. I know some boats were built this way to cut corners .. but they are far and few.

YD.
    Iboats Helper

Unless I was a seasoned professional, I would not attempt to replace the outside skin of the transom. And to agree with Wood, I haven't yet seen a boat that both the stringers and transom were not rotten together. I know most of these boats on here are 30, 40 years plus old. And you can glass the crap out of a piece of wood, water will somehow get in with age. Circumstances with dictate the outcome. A small crack in the transom skin is all it will take. Water leaking around the drain plug over time, as we all know will rot the transom out. Bolting on an outboard to the transom, tow eyes. If all these are not sealed properly when installed, either by the boat manufacturer or a previous owner will kill a transom. Stringers rot out easy because it doesn't take much to rot a deck out. When my seats were installed in mine, for example, someone thought it would be a great idea to bolt the seats to the deck with rubber seals. My boat is 34 years old and if there was no water there it would have been a miracle. Even though stringers are separately sealed, water still gets in and over time, even with all that foam packed in tight, water will find it's way in. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.
    As in people, there comes a time in your life when you realize what boat will always matter, what boat does matter, & what boat never did. So don't worry about the boats from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future. .

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=557457

http://www.youtube.com/user/tallcanadian?feature=mhee
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=dQQV332c3o0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHkfRJSORA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwSJjeFI298

On my boat, the stringers were mulch. The transom had rot, but not due to the stringers rotting. My transom had rot because numerous holes were improperly sealed with silicone.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On my boat the transom did not have an inner skin and the glass on the stringers was done very poorly.

Peter, I am late in the game on your project but after reading through your thread, I do have a few questions.

What size is your family, how long do you plan to keep this boat, and what is your "total budget" to put this thing back in the water. And last but not least what did you pay for the boat.

I am like everyone else here, I like seeing old boats restored, but only if it isn't a burden to the restorer and only if its not putting money into a boat that isn't worth the effort or time.

What I am basically saying, is this boat has worse issues than I have seen on many other projects. Even fiberglass over time can become brittle and loose strength and this boat is very old. If you have not put much money into the purchase of the boat, it might be a good idea to look for one in better restoration condition.

What I mean by restoration condition is one that you know will be worth restoring.

Now worth restoring is a personal choice at best with all the factors being thought through. This being your first boat, the building/restoration can have either great effects on your boating future or ill effects depending on how you look at it.

This boat in no way will be worth much when even if you do restore it better than when it was new. Recouping your funds invested will be nearly impossible. Now that being said, if its worth it to you for the experience or just the pure pleasure of this style boat or whatever then so be it.

I just wanted to give you some things to think about before you spend a year restoring a boat that you will eventually find was maybe a waste of time because the boat isn't right for your family, the costs outweighed the benifits, etc etc.

Good luck on whatever direction you choose, but imo I would look for another boat. If you do decide to go forward on the project I would fully gut it so you have full confidence in the boat when your done. You also have the right people here to help you along already so good luck.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quote Originally Posted by chriscraft254 View Post
    Peter, I am late in the game on your project but after reading through your thread, I do have a few questions.

What size is your family, how long do you plan to keep this boat, and what is your "total budget" to put this thing back in the water. And last but not least what did you pay for the boat.

I am like everyone else here, I like seeing old boats restored, but only if it isn't a burden to the restorer and only if its not putting money into a boat that isn't worth the effort or time.

What I am basically saying, is this boat has worse issues than I have seen on many other projects. Even fiberglass over time can become brittle and loose strength and this boat is very old. If you have not put much money into the purchase of the boat, it might be a good idea to look for one in better restoration condition.

What I mean by restoration condition is one that you know will be worth restoring.

Now worth restoring is a personal choice at best with all the factors being thought through. This being your first boat, the building/restoration can have either great effects on your boating future or ill effects depending on how you look at it.

This boat in no way will be worth much when even if you do restore it better than when it was new. Recouping your funds invested will be nearly impossible. Now that being said, if its worth it to you for the experience or just the pure pleasure of this style boat or whatever then so be it.

I just wanted to give you some things to think about before you spend a year restoring a boat that you will eventually find was maybe a waste of time because the boat isn't right for your family, the costs outweighed the benifits, etc etc.

Good luck on whatever direction you choose, but imo I would look for another boat. If you do decide to go forward on the project I would fully gut it so you have full confidence in the boat when your done. You also have the right people here to help you along already so good luck.
    Thanks for the post! Well, I ran this through my head about 1000 times and then back around again 1000 times... I have decided to go with a full restoration for a couple of reasons. First of all I decided to do this because I normally do kayak fishing and I love it. So being able to move up to a boat that I can get into the lakes and rivers in will be GREAT! My family size really isn't an issue it's just me, the wife (who is 4' 10" tall) and my son who is 10 months old. As for when I take it out fishing again, it would be myself, my father and brother going. When it comes to people on the boat at one time, I'll only have 3 maybe 4 max. I was interested in the boat because of the tri-hull and that this boat, trailer, Johnson 70hp engine, trolling motor (1 year old) and a older fish finder for was offered to me for $400. Now I didn't see the holes in the fiberglass when I bought the boat and the guy who sold it to me (a good friend) was not aware of it either. Now I knew it would need some cosmetic work but as for the stringer and all that I didn't know that all of this stuff was going to need to be replaced as well.
    Now that I have stumbled across this forum I have met a bunch of GREAT people that have been providing me with excellent information and tips. Combining that with hours upon hours of research I feel confident in me completing this restoration successfully. My budget is not really a factor, I don't mean that in a way where I have a never ending stash of money but I look at it like this. I can't afford a boat, I can't afford boat payments. So over the next few months spending a couple hundred here and a couple hundred there to have a boat that will be paid off and last me a good 20 - 30 years how is it not worth doing. I was looking into what this would cost me and I came in around $1000 so just to be on the safe side I say $1500, throw that $400 I put into it to purchase it and I would say a max of $2000 for everything. I know I will never see the money back but I'm not looking to, I just want to make some great memories with my family out on the boat and $2000 for that is NOTHING! Also, I love working and learning about stuff so as I work on this boat I find myself getting sucked into it more and more. I honestly can't wait for it to warm up so I can learn to fiberglass. I have been wanting to work with fiberglass for about 10 years, just never had anything to make with it. So now this gives me the opportunity to put it to the test.

As for an update, I will be picking up the wood for the cradle this week or next week and I'll be putting it all together, leaving the middle of it open so I can get under it and patch the holes. I have been drawing up some blue prints for a design on it and kind of going back and forth between a couple of the designs. I will be posting more images soon!

Thanks everybody!!!!!!

Sounds like you have thought it through man, congrats that is something alot of people don't do before jumping in. I'm onboard and will follow along.

I also did not really have the means to buy a boat so like you I invested over the last couple years or so. Have fun with it man, I look forward to the layout pics. have you thought about a center console on that hull. I have a pic to show you if you have.

Chris Craft 254 Seahawk
    Visit my refurbish/upgrade project here.
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=483913

Yup.. thats what I was suggesting . IF its only the transom then sometimes its better to approach it from the outside. I have seen members here that are trying to uncap an OB model with a splashwell. Next thing you know they have motor pics and a-frames trying to pry the deck off. All for a 3'x4'ish transom..

Unless boat builds have changed in the last decade .. The Transom Should be independently laminated. Meaning that its not exposed to the stringers or deck as such ( its encapsulated with glass all on its own ). So your kinda saying that if the transom is trashed then the fordeck must be rotted out too.

If the trans was glassed independently ( like it should have ) from the stringers then there should be NO reason for one to affect/infect the other. They are NOT Tied/married together.

Now if the transom/stringers/bulkies were installed all together in the lamination stage .. then its wood to wood and all bets are off. I know some boats were built this way to cut corners .. but they are far and few.

YD.
    Hmm, did not think I said the two were connected in any way. I only stated that when a transom has been abused to the point of needing an entire replacement then It's almost a given that the stringers will have issues too. I don't think I have ever seen a 25 year old boat that needed a transom replaced and had a soft deck but the Stringers were perfectly fine. Maybe you have but I have not. It's usually NOT the methods used by the MFG that makes a boat rot, it's the lack of care and maintenance by the owner(s). Even a poorly glassed boat, will last a very long time, with proper care and maintenance. Just my 2 cents.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quote Originally Posted by chriscraft254 View Post
    Sounds like you have thought it through man, congrats that is something alot of people don't do before jumping in. I'm onboard and will follow along.

I also did not really have the means to buy a boat so like you I invested over the last couple years or so. Have fun with it man, I look forward to the layout pics. have you thought about a center console on that hull. I have a pic to show you if you have.
    Good to have you along! Yea, to be honest with you the guys on the forum are the ones who talked me into restoring it... I was ready just to patch the holes from the outside and call it a day. Thank god these guys wanted to see me rip this thing apart because I'm having a blast doing it!

Well over the weekend I took all the measurements and I cut a larger piece of the floor out. I'm chipping away at it a little at a time... ready for this one, I don't have a saw that I can just plug in all I have is this garbage *** 18v battery operated saw, so I can get a couple of small cuts made then I have to charge the battery, lol! I really don't want to buy another saw so I have just been doing a little at a time. Seeing that I have off of work today... By the way HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!! - I will be spending some time out there working on the floor. Now before I cut out anymore is there any specific place that I should measure out? I have done many measurements already but I don't want to leave anything out that will be vital when putting the cap back on.

Thanks,
    Peter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, I did a little work however, milestone (in my opinion) I have uncovered a portion of the stringer! The other picture is under the "dashboard" I removed the panels so now there is a clear shot to the front of the boat. I made some BIG progress! lol! I keep up at this speed I'll have this boat done in about 2 years! I'm just trying to do as much as I can right now that does not cost any money seeing that I'm counting my pennies, after this holiday season. I'll be back in the game soon though!

2013-01-01_15-37-07_785.jpg 2013-01-01_15-36-41_230.jpg

I really need to buy the wood to build this cradle! Once I can get this boat off the trailer I will be so much happier!

TallCanadian, I'm going to have to look over your thread in a little more detail to see how far that plywood goes to the front of the boat. I just don't understand how they did that. Also on the sides of the boat it looks like there are small triangle shaped pieces of plywood that are in the floor. As I said I need to take a little time and look at your pictures again. Was it a pain in the *** getting all the wood off of the floor when you did it?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast