Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Seaman Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    45

    Default Cuddy wall covering questions....

    Hello, I'm trying to figure out if the white ish carpet like material on the cuddy walls is what was between the hull and original carpet/cuddy wall coverings. Also, the stains in the white material in some pics looks like rust around starboard window and on port side window almost looks like a resin stain. That's why I think the original wall coverings are missing. Any thoughts, suggestions, words of wisdom is greatly apprecitated.

    http://s939.photobucket.com/albums/ad237/noizmaker2pb/

    http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1988-nordic-crestliner-crusader-245-project-boat-pics-362228.html

  2. #2
    Petty Officer 1st Class timfives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    York PA
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Cuddy wall covering questions....

    Hey there, I to need to figure this out, what to cover the cuddy cabin walls with. I've been noodling this around for a couple of weeks, and haven't come up with much of anything good, just a couple of ideas or well 1 idea.

    i was thinking about making some vinyl panels to inset in the cuddy.

    step 1. Template for plywood
    Step 2. Cut Plywood
    step 3. Attach foam
    step 4. Cover with Vinyl
    step 5. Attach to interior. (which i haven't figured that out yet either)

    I think it would be comfy and great for the kids to bounce around in, stylish, and would be totally custom. Not sure of the effort though.

    The carpet in mine is super dingy and needs to be replaced, and i'm not hip on replacing with more carpet.

    Open to ideas

    T
    ------------------------------------------

    There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904


    Project
    1974 Starcraft Chieftain
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....errerid=174999

    "Completed" Project
    1991 Starcraft Islander 191V - Rebuild
    http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/start-my-project-1991-starcraft-islander-359551.html

  3. #3
    Moderator Bob_VT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    West Rutland, Vermont, United States
    Posts
    24,399

    Default Re: Cuddy wall covering questions....

    Well regardless of what you install...carpet or vinyl the biggest problems in a cuddy is lack of drying out. They always tend to smell like damp mold.....

    I think your vinyl idea sounds great. The 1" foam is fairly cheap and the vinyl will clean up real easy too.
    This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
    Please, shop iboats first!!


  4. #4
    Master Chief Petty Officer F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    895

    Default Re: Cuddy wall covering questions....

    Quote Originally Posted by timfives View Post
    Hey there, I to need to figure this out, what to cover the cuddy cabin walls with. I've been noodling this around for a couple of weeks, and haven't come up with much of anything good, just a couple of ideas or well 1 idea.

    i was thinking about making some vinyl panels to inset in the cuddy.

    step 1. Template for plywood
    Step 2. Cut Plywood
    step 3. Attach foam
    step 4. Cover with Vinyl
    step 5. Attach to interior. (which i haven't figured that out yet either)

    I think it would be comfy and great for the kids to bounce around in, stylish, and would be totally custom. Not sure of the effort though.

    The carpet in mine is super dingy and needs to be replaced, and i'm not hip on replacing with more carpet.

    Open to ideas

    T
    did you copy that idea from me?

    I figured some luon or whatever it's called would work fine to attack the foam and vinyl too. I got thinking that you could put like a carriage bolt through a little scrap piece of wood, epoxy it to the wall of the cabin, then use a nut and washer with a screw head cover. A few of these should be enough to properly hold it in place. Add 12V limo style rope lighting at the seams
    197133' Chris Craft Coho/Catalina Sedan, twin CC 327QA's, Paragon V drives. Restoration in progress1985 Bayliner Capri 1952 (19' cuddy),OMC 3.0L. Restored with the knowledge here on iBoats'70 (circa) Amphicat 6x6 AATV, future Coho tender'87 Kawasaki 650SX, '90

    Tow rig: '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible 455ci cude U 4BBL factory dual exhaust

  5. #5
    Commander drewpster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tennessee River, USA
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: Cuddy wall covering questions....

    If you are talking about a covering to finish the inside fiberglass surfaces of the hull (not covered with anything else) search the term "hull liner material. I found it once looking around. The inside of the cabin of my boat has it on the inside surface glued in place. Sort of like thick wall paper only nicer. You can get it as a thin carpet as well.
    I considered making some interior panels also. But you would be surprised how adding a little thickness to the walls will make the cabin look and feel smaller.

  6. #6
    Seaman Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: Cuddy wall covering questions....

    For our cuddy walls theres got to be material that can be installed and removed easily for end of season cleaning or storage. Similiar to the removable carpet flooring concept. Velcro and duct tape....


    Image of current cuddy wall material I'd like to replace.



    1988 Nordic Crestliner Crusader 245


  7. #7
    Petty Officer 1st Class timfives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    York PA
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Cuddy wall covering questions....

    Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    did you copy that idea from me?

    I figured some luon or whatever it's called would work fine to attack the foam and vinyl too. I got thinking that you could put like a carriage bolt through a little scrap piece of wood, epoxy it to the wall of the cabin, then use a nut and washer with a screw head cover. A few of these should be enough to properly hold it in place. Add 12V limo style rope lighting at the seams


    that is a great idea, of epoxy studs to the wall. I think you just answered my last hurdle there. That is going to be my spring project, in the meantime i still getting out water logged foam!!

    T
    ------------------------------------------

    There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904


    Project
    1974 Starcraft Chieftain
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....errerid=174999

    "Completed" Project
    1991 Starcraft Islander 191V - Rebuild
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=359551

  8. #8
    Petty Officer 1st Class timfives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    York PA
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Cuddy wall covering questions....

    Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    did you copy that idea from me?

    I figured some luon or whatever it's called would work fine to attack the foam and vinyl too. I got thinking that you could put like a carriage bolt through a little scrap piece of wood, epoxy it to the wall of the cabin, then use a nut and washer with a screw head cover. A few of these should be enough to properly hold it in place. Add 12V limo style rope lighting at the seams
    Quote Originally Posted by drewpster View Post
    If you are talking about a covering to finish the inside fiberglass surfaces of the hull (not covered with anything else) search the term "hull liner material. I found it once looking around. The inside of the cabin of my boat has it on the inside surface glued in place. Sort of like thick wall paper only nicer. You can get it as a thin carpet as well.
    I considered making some interior panels also. But you would be surprised how adding a little thickness to the walls will make the cabin look and feel smaller.

    I didn't find anything on Iboats site, but did find this website: http://www.sailrite.com/HullBlanket-...ilver-Grey-M66

    This may be a much easier option.

    T
    ------------------------------------------

    There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904


    Project
    1974 Starcraft Chieftain
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....errerid=174999

    "Completed" Project
    1991 Starcraft Islander 191V - Rebuild
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=359551

Similar Threads

  1. Wall covering
    By mrsokee in forum Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 5th, 2009, 09:57 PM
  2. Slab - Retaining Wall Questions...
    By ndemge in forum Non-Boating Technical Topics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 16th, 2006, 03:53 AM
  3. Info on textured wall/ceiling covering
    By SS MAYFLOAT in forum Non-Boating Technical Topics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 1st, 2004, 01:41 AM
  4. thinking of covering my 40 foot wooden boat with some type of covering
    By 40 foot Owens in forum Boat Topics and Questions (not engine topics)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: March 25th, 2003, 01:34 PM
  5. thinking of covering my 40 foot wooden boat with some type of covering
    By 40 foot Owens in forum Non-Repair Outboard Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 12th, 2003, 11:34 AM
  1. iboats Forum Directory - Over 100,000 forum posts organized by topic