My father took in this boat at his business shortly before he was killed in a car accident. I've always said since then, that this boat be a 'good one' to potentially fix up.. finally starting on it.
It's a 1979 Cobalt with a Mercruiser 260HP(350 c.i engine).
The story was the guy had 'rebuilt the engine', but didn't get the electrical correct so he couldn't start it. We figured that actually meant 'the motor was shot', so he basically offered what the trailer the boat as on was worth.
Shortly after my father died, I drug the boat home from the business and tried to get it started. I didn't spend alot of time on it that year, and just did the basics. Remote starter wire on the solenoid, fresh gas, new plugs, hot wire to coil. I wasn't getting any fire, replaced the coil which got fire past the coil, but not past the distributor.. I stopped at this point and didn't touch the boat for a while.
This year I decided to try again, and Saturday the beast came to life! It ended up being points were stuck and never firing. We took them out, set new ones and then we had spark. It still needs quite a bit of work, but after hearing the motor run and not hearing any type of motor noise or other concerns, i'm ready to start getting her ready for water.
It has a Quadrajet carb on it, which is not very forgiving when it comes to sitting. It'll fire up, but has to be choked with your hand manually(choke lever was zip tied open..:-/), and throttle held partially open or blipped constantly. If you work it for a while, it'll eventually idle for 10-15 seconds on it's own no choke before dying out. Considering this boat has not ran in atleast 4 years that I know of, a gummed up carb is definitely expected. I also don't know how much bad gas is in the tank to the gas I added.
The interior was scary, a good 1-2" of grass/mold growing on the carpet, everything this awful black mold looking on it. We gutted most of the boat Saturday and hosed it all down and cleaned quite a bit. Still need to wax the boat ,and further interior cleaning. The upholstery on the back bench, engine cover, and front seats is pretty bad. Luckily my mom is pretty good at upholstery and once she heard it run she's 'on board' to doing the interior as I finish the motor/electrical work. My sisters also jumped in on the cleaning.
The floor feels good, there is one 'softish' spot right behind the passenger seat. It's not bad, and the only spot that has any sort of give.
Next visit home I plan to:
Empty the gas tank
Start wiring the captain console up.. The wires are still ran, so it may be as simple as wiring the key ignition or as complex as running new wire.. not sure yet, I've been using a push button I have hooked to the starter solenoid and a hot wire to the + of the coil.
Wax the outside
Change all fluids and filters.
Either replace the carb with a reman, holley or edelbrock or try and rebuild it myself.
Engine running for the first time in over 4 years, if not longer:
interior, mid cleaning:
end of day 1..
Still lots to do.. I'm pretty excited to get this thing on the water