Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Default 1969 Kenner Kencraft 19ft SkiBarge First Time Ever Restoration & Remodel

Hello everyone. I may be calling to you looking for some help. I will be doing a complete restoration of a 1969 KenCraft 19Ft center console SkiBarge. I have never really messed with fiberglass or done any cosmetic boat repairs. Can usually get a motor running but thats the only part of a boat I have worked on. Will Post pics when I get it figured out. I have already removed the console, transom, and floor. My beginning question is about the floor/deck. Should the new deck grain go longways, or crossways? Then when I read to glass the deck top and bottom, does that mean mat and resin on top and bottom or just resin on the bottom with no mat?

Cadet

Default Re: 1969 Kenner Kencraft 19ft SkiBarge First Time Ever Restoration & Remodel

My second question is I read somewhere that the deck should not but up snug to the sides. Is this true?

Cadet

Default Re: 1969 Kenner Kencraft 19ft SkiBarge First Time Ever Restoration & Remodel

I will be using 3/4 Fir for the transom. X2 and glassing it in.

Cadet

I believe I will be using 1/2 fir for the floor.

Cadet

Is this a Glass or a Tin Boat?

Cadet

It is a glass boat. It looks tin I even thought it was when I stopped to look at it before I bought it, but it is glass. I have more pics to post, just have little time to actually get on here.

Cadet

Just making sure I did not post in the wrong area. Im not getting much feedback. Any help would be appreciated.

Cadet

still working on the boat I have rebuilt the transom. I have started glassing the stringers what a pain glassing stringers is. Oh well time to work on it is the hardest to come by but when i do all is fun except for grinding

Add more pictures. I do know that Kenner Ski Barges were heavy even when new and I have not seen the stringer layout inside.

I have a friend that built one 20 years ago and tried to start his own local tow company (which did not work)on a small lake. All he accomplished was to have a heavy boat with a thirsty engine that eventually went to a scrap pile.

Please a few more pictures
    This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
    Please, shop iboats first!!

Cadet

I'd love to see some pics. I have a ski barge rebuild too, but haven't had a chance to get started on it yet. Would really like to see and hear more about how your project is coming along!

I to have started a skiBarge rebuild, and am moving kinda slow. Found the prev.owner used 1/2"PT plywood on the deck and after sitting in the elements, the white foam and ply was water saturated. Boat was way heavy so all is removed and drying. Amazing how much water can get absorbed.
    If you have not seen the specs, here is a link showing the sales brochure from 1967 and 1974. Mine is a
    I found a lot of good info and really like the pic in there of a 20ftr hauling a vw and tyrio of skiers with a claimed 60 hp.
    http://members.quicknet.nl/wjm.kooijman/
    I have a 16 ft. tarpon barge and grabbed a cheap 30 hp tiller I am gonna try and use.
    And, yes, I have read the ply should have a gap followed by a fillet of PB and glass layers, like a stringer.
    I guess if butted to the glass, will cause a hardspot in the glass causing spider cracks or worse?
    My boat is a 76 and on the title it says Hull Material "Aluminum" but I can assure you it is Fiberglass.
    Must be the funky square railing fab. Don't loose it, I undid the railing, and was shocked at how flimsy the side became.
    Like others, I would love to see some pics.

Cadet

I will see if I can get some more pictures on here tomorrow. I will try to work on it some in the morning.
    kenner boat resto 001.jpgkenner boat resto 014.jpgkenner boat resto 001.jpgkenner boat resto 014.jpgkenner boat resto 005.jpg

Cadet

I have pictures with the deck removed they are just not on my computer yet.

Chief Petty Officer starcrafter65's Avatar

That is one cool boat!!!
    Clark
    "Bare Naked Lady" 1968 Starcraft Holiday 18 w/ 130 Merc + Alpha One Transplant I/O.
    My Resto Thread
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....35#post2683135

Lieutenant Junior Grade Isaacm1986's Avatar

that is one cool boat for sure! I look forward to watching this one!
    21ft Mariner 210 Starcraft Restoration
    http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1978-starcraft-mariner-210-restoration-399818.html

"The sea will discover everything you did wrong"

Cadet

Very Cool. Thanks for the pics... and nauditq, thanks for that link to info on the boat. Mine is a 19ft fishin ski barge flats fisher. I posted some pics on a thread I started a while back, but haven't gotten around to starting the rebuild. Hoping to get to it this Fall and will post some pics when I do.