Thanks for sharing Steve!
- Take one more trip before putting that boat away. This is for two reasons. The first being you get one more chance to go out and enjoy the water and secondly it allows you to inspect the boat and see if anything needs repair.
- Remove your belongings off the boat like dishes, food, blankets and pillows.
- Inspect the propeller and hub and make sure there are not any repairs needed. If there are any repairs needed be sure to fix them right away so they don't get any worse.
- Fill the boats gas tank and add stabilizer to the gas to stop the gas from degrading and causing corrosion. Corrosion can cause your gas lines to leak so completing this step can help you save a lot of money.
- Close any fuel valves. This will prevent destructive condensation. You can also seal any thru-pot exhaust ports with duct tape. It is also a good idea to replace the fuel filter and water separator before storing your both.
- Step six is very important to storing your boat for the winter. In this step you want to coat the spark plugs by taking out the flame arrestor and putting two cycle oil into the carburetor while the boat is on and running. Then turn off the fuel supply to allow the excess fuel to burn off. Spin the engine a few times to effectively coat the spark plugs. Put the plugs back in without plugging them in to prevent dampness around the piston.
- To prevent lines and parts of the engine from freezing fill the block with antifreeze. Change the gear oil in the engine. Remove the battery and store it in a safe, dry, and cool place.
- Cleaning your boat may seem like an unnecessary and unimportant step but that is not the case. Cleaning the boats surface and adding a protectant will help to prevent any rotting.
- Cover your boat with a boat cover no matter where you are storing it to protect it from the elements, and insects. The canvas should be waterproof and fit the well.
- Make whatever repairs are needed before storing the boat as not doing so could make the problem much worse later on.
So now you know everything about winter boat storage. Before you know it spring will be here and if you follow the steps above your boat will be in the perfect condition for hitting the water once again.