Thoughts on 2004 Seadoo GTS

harvey5560

Cadet
Good evening. I'm new to the PWC market having owned a few outboard boats in the past. My kids ( 6 and 8 ) were recently on a seadoo for the first time and loved it and are now bugging me to get one. In our summer park, there is a 2004 Seadoo GTS that the owner has mentioned he will be selling (with trailer) for $2000 (Canadian) but there is a catch. The owner says it is not running at peak performance hence the "cheaper" price. I have spoken with a seadoo tech who has said it "could be" fuel lines, carbs or crank shaft but hard to diagnose without seeing it but rough estimate would be $200 - $1000 to fix depending on the issue. My question for you folks is it worth taking a chance on at $2000, or possibly even a $1500 offer? Overall its in good condition except for some cracking on the seat. Because my kids are younger I'm not looking for something crazy fast or expensive. Any suggests or opinions on this model Seadoo would also be appreciated.

eavega

Lieutenant
You sure its a GTS? I'm not finding a listing for a GTS in 2004. last mention of a GTS model is in 2001, which has a 717 engine. In any case, basic "bring back to life" scenario for carbed Seadoos involves rebuilding carburetors (using OEM Mikuni kits, not aftermarket), removing old 'TEMPO' fuel lines and re-plumbing fuel system. New fuel filter and gasket for fuel water separator, new oil filter, Clean out or replace fuel selector, new wear ring. That all will set you back around U$300 and probably 4-6 hours of work. Always heard parts cost more in Canada. crankshaft is more of a "it either works or it doesn't", with the only problem you can readily identify as leaking crankshaft seals, which cause the lower end to fill with oil if the ski sits. There is a workaround involving adding a valve to the oil bath lines which will allow you to use the ski for years before having to rebuild the bottom end. The GTS are very stable skis, if anything a little underpowered with the 717 engine. Your kids would be fine on the GTS with a 717.

harvey5560

Cadet
No Title

Thank you for the reply. I have posted a picture. It is definatly a GTS but its entirey possible that either the owner or I have got the year wrong. Parts for everything cost more in Canada, as does labour. I plan on doing a compression test on the ski this weekend if the owner around which will help anser some questions for me. I'm not afraid to put a little money into something if I can get it for a decent price. I just don't want to buy somebody else headache.

Attachments

• photo271771.jpg
    photo271771.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 0

eavega

Lieutenant
For the record, that looks like a 2001 GTS. Still has the 717 RAVE dual carb engine. A little underpowered, but would be stable and good family ski.

-E

slag

Chief Petty Officer
717 didn't have RAVE valving. The 787 and 951 did, but the 720 was your typical rotax engine.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
For the record, that looks like a 2001 GTS. Still has the 717 RAVE dual carb engine. A little underpowered, but would be stable and good family ski.

-E

Just to be clear; the 717 isn't a RAVE (Rotax Adjustable Variable Exhaust) engine. At least not stock from Sea Doo. Rotary valve, yes. RAVE, no.

eavega, I see you have a Stingray! I've got a 2004 Stingray 200LX with the carbed 5.0GL-E, 220hp Volvo Penta engine. We love it!

eavega

Lieutenant
Sorry, all. Meant Rotax, not RAVE. Got RAVE on the brain with my own 96 GTX...

My Stingray is old, but reliable. Mercruiser 181 carbed engine. Was going to upgrade this year but got into seadoos instead!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We had one just like it. "Not running at peak performance" is what I would have said about mine as well.....

Personally, I wouldn't touch it at any price. It could be a money pit, as well as need repairs all the time. The ski is old.

When we switched to a 4-stroke it was like night and day. Now we use it all the time and don't have problems.

Just my opinion...