My graduation to a smaller ski!

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
In my quest to progress single skiing this year, I have gone thru several skis. I started this year on the Big Easy - large 750 sq. in. ski that I was able to get up on at the end of last season. I progressed from that ski to the Big Daddy at 550 sq. in., then on to the Mid SX at 500 sq. in., to the Mid LX at 400 sq. in., to the O'Brien Impulse (no idea the sq. in). Was able to find an observer for a few hours this morning but on a very choppy lake. It was my first time trying the Impulse and I was not sure I would be able to get up at my age and with all the prior wide skis I'd been using - but I wanted to give it a shot. So, first try I got too far forward and the rope (v-rope) came off the ski. Second time I got up - and boy do you need to stay squatted for an eternity! I didn't get any practice outside the wakes as it was very choppy, but I was able to get up 4 times out of 6 tries. But I sure think this will be a ski to progress on. I can't wait until next summer and work on my wake crossings. Here is a photo of the ski I started on in July and the one I used today. Quite a difference and I must say, I am pretty proud of my old self today!

Attachments

• photo230119.jpg
    photo230119.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo230120.jpg
    photo230120.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 0

oldjeep

Admiral
I can't imagine someone your size on a Big daddy, those things are meant for 200lb+ people. Must be nice to not be skipping around on top the water.

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I can't imagine someone your size on a Big daddy, those things are meant for 200lb+ people. Must be nice to not be skipping around on top the water.

I know, but I was really concerned about even getting up and it was a lot easier on the bigger skis. The one in the picture is the Big Easy - which is bigger than the Big Daddy if you an imagine! lol But gave me the muscle memory for getting up which made it an easy progression to get to the last small ski. I don't think if I first tried on the Pink Ski I would have been able to get up because with each ski I could tell you had to stay squatted longer as the skis got smaller! lol But yes, I don't miss skipping and bouncing over those wakes!

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Congrats!!! That is awesome, and that picture is STARTLING! Quite the progression. I bet getting into the strong position crossing the wake is easier on the new ski!

I didnt get out last weekend at all (travelling). Im hoping for a few runs this weekend, possibly the last of the year. Sad times...